Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grasses and tall foliage

Posted by oilpainter 3 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 14:05

I have a 3 foot by 30 foot flower bed along the driveway on the opposite side of the house. Some of it is in full sun all day and the rest gets afternoon sun. I am rearranging my plants this year and would like to back it with grasses and tall-- but no taller than 4 feet-- foliage plants.We get wind occasionally and for the most part it is exposed to the elements so things would have to have sturdy stems I was thinking of grasses and millet and I do have some dahlias. Anything else I could consider and which grasses are notable--perennial if there's any for my zone 3. I have never grown grasses before so any help will be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grasses and tall foliage

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 22:52

I still haven't found a grass that I like as much as any of the Calamagrostis x. acutiflora like Karl Foerster, Avalanche, Overdam, or Eldorado.

Karl is the plain green but, IMO, the nicest blooms. Eldorado is my second favourite with yellow/green variegated foliage. I wasn't really thrilled with Overdam's performance - maybe I got a dud plant. I moved it last year - we'll see if it does any better. It's white/green variegated but the variegation isn't really very pronounced. It is the shortest of this group. And I only got Avalanche last year so the jury's still out but it has received rave reviews on this forum and others.

Reasons I like this grass: cool season so it starts growing early leaving only a few weeks in the spring that look bare. The inflorescense goes thru a variety of bloom stages - thin & purple tinged, puffy, thin again, tan as they mature. Foliage holds up well thru winter. Rock solid hardy in my zone - have never lost one. The grasses are tall but not huge around. Karl will get to 5' with blooms, but the others are shorter in my yard - right around 4'. Best of all, the clump increases in size over the years but no runners and no seedlings.

Not a foliage plant but I think worth mentioning - Monkshood grows in my yard in full sun and part shade. With blooms it is also around 4' tall and always holds up to our prairie winds. My mom has a row of these backing her perennial garden, dividing the flowers from the vegetable patch and they make a really nice background plant. I actually like Monkshood somewhat more than Delphiniums - the bloom time is longer, the foliage looks good throughout most of the season, and they're sturdier. One of my favourites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here