Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Call me crazy but

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 14:09

I'm almost sure our last frost date was April 27 this year. I don't know why but I just feel that it's not going to freeze again this year. By the way don't take my word for it, your mileage may vary! I planted out almost all my bedding plants a week ago and some of them are blooming already. :)

I'll come back and fess up if all my plants get wiped out in the next couple of weeks. :S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Call me crazy but

When you say bedding plants, are you speaking of ones purchased at the store, or ones that you had growing in your basement?

Since I have so so many tomatoes downstairs, I was seriously thinking of hardening them off and taking my chances. It's not like I wouldn't have any extras =:)

o

I don't trust the weather around here. Snow in Calgary a few days ago and it is cold enough here today that it could snow. It's the wind that the little ones don't like so all my babies on on the deck tucked in till it warms up more steady. Tomatoes are still in the house along with my melons and cucs I just started. I put the tomatoes out the last week in May last year.

Cherry tree is just starting to bloom so the crab will be next week I would think. All in due time.

Ginny

o

Well, someone has to be the Crazy Gardener around here now!

It was 0 here yesterday morning, but the forecast is good for the next couple of weeks. I've been starting to harden things off. The bleeding hearts i planted in March are staying outside tonight. Everything else, probably by next week.

Gil, right in the city, your night temperatures are probably milder than ours. We do have a +6 predicted for Saturday morning, but after that, between 8 and 12 for the week. I'm going to try to get as much of the vegetable garden in as i can this weekend.

P.S. Html doesn't work in here anymore?

o

Had frost today, although it wasn't really hard. I washed the perennials before the sun hit them this morning, just in case.

o

These are all plants from my basement, NAF. I'm not actually planning on buying anything this year, except more containers and soil because I have so darn many bedding plants in the basement.

I admit I haven't planted out my tomatoes or peppers yet. They're outside in pots though.

I have a suspicion that being in town, next to a very large river, keeps us warmer once the river thaws in spring and also while it's still open in the fall. Often Winnipeg airport registers frost when we don't have any at all.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 12 at 19:31

The horrific wind this week is stopping me from even trying to seriously harden plants off. Even an hour outside leaves things wilted and whipped! The temps might be okay for us, but there are a couple of chilly nights forecast this weekend.

o

Well I should jump in here, I have planted some of the veg garden. Cool season crops are in, peas, beets, spinach, swiss chard, lettuce. All in raised beds. I had to move some of the tomatoes to the unheated greenhouse, my basement is under attack from aphids, I think they came in on a sweet potato vine I wintered over but all hell has broke loose. I have washed them and sprayed them and now I'm watching very closely. I got rid of a couple and some peppers.

I just hate it when something like this happens. Anyway they are covered in the greenhouse with about four layers of frost cloth, and they did survive some snow and minus 5 yesterday.

Guess this is the year I really get after and bleach my pots, I have been slacking. Cheryl

o

If you're in the city of Winnipeg, I'd wager you're right. I checked the GFS weather outlook for the next two weeks (I find this more reliable than TWN for that far out). They are forecasting some cool and wet weather during the May 25-30th period across the prairies, with the possibility of a light frost in many places in SK and MB, but you in the city would definitely escape that. And of course there's Alberta...where frost can occur in any month! You Alberta gardeners are a tough bunch!

o

I planted out my tomatoes and peppers! Hahaha I'm so daring. There is nothing below 10 degrees forecast for overnight lows right past may 24, our average last frost date. Also, I just have this horse sense that it's done freezing.

(I held back half my peppers though and some of the tomatoes will be grown in containers this year)

o

Gillian, I'm thrilled that somebody has dared to be the first!

I'm going to start hardening some of mine off today, and I'll also be giving a few away this evening for their new owners to do the same.

I've got plenty of extras if the weather messes with me.

How many days did you harden off your tomatoes?

Lynn

o

My tomatoes are outside now. They're in the cold frame and i have it covered with a tarp (not the glass) just to shade the plants from the sun. It was pretty warm today. Also, i've planted most of the vegetable garden, including the cole crop bedding plants i bought yesterday.

o

I hardened the tomatoes and peppers almost a week, starting with 2 days that were cloudy but fairly warm. I did end up with a bit of sun scorch on an abutylon and a mini rose from valentines but everything else is looking good.

o

Well, it is almost the May long weekend; traditionally garden planting time in Edmonton. I haven't planted anything out yet but do have my gang out on the deck. I left the tomatoes out last night for the first time but put them in the giant dog kennel on the deck..........they were not happy campers this morning! :(

They got over it though. I put my dahlias out on the deck this morning and they went limp like a little kid who doesn't want to go to bed or have a bath....:( Tempermental I tell ya! *Big babies* :/

I'll sow the seed vegies this weekend and prepare the spots for the extra tomatoes I'm going to adopt from Larry. And put the rest of my pots on the deck......providing it doesn't come down! I swear the only thing that is holding that deck up is the momma spider's maternal bonds!

I feel accomplished today though having sorted out the deck show and writing out a weekend plan. :)

Hope everyone has a productive long weekend even if you only produce lots of relaxation. :)

Happy gardening too! :)

Ginny

o

It's 30 degrees here today and 32 tomorrow. Victory is still mine (so far)!

o

We were right on 0 a few mornings ago. My stuff was outside but i covered it up and it all came out fine. I've put a few baskets out now, but everything else has been moved into the shade as it's supposed to be very warm tomorrow. I need to move the winter sowing too, but maybe i'll have time in the morning before work.

o

So far it has been a nice spring. I should have some swiss chard ready to pick in a week. Spinach is being picked every week now, and the beets and peas are growing well. I put tomatoes out in containers but I'll be ready to move them indoors if frost threatens.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 12 at 15:52

PPPFFFFHHHTTT..We had snow yesterday morning and this morning. Enough to turn the ground white but it didnt last long. Tomorrow they are predicting -2 but I am sure it will be colder. Rotten weather...Jean

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 10:06

I waited until the 10 day forecast showed no low temps within about 6-7 degrees of freezing, and then when there were only a few days left of May that I didn't have a forecast for, I planted! I've had tomatoes out in the garden for a little over a week now. I also have zucchini and cucumbers up. I have pepper plants inside but just haven't gotten around to setting them out yet.

o

Haha! Funny joke mother nature! Frost warning tonight. The forecast low is 3 but "patchy frost" is possible. I still don't think we'll get it but I covered my peppers and tomatoes and brought all my containers into the garage.

not so smug now...

o

I've got everything under cover too. What a pain. My sister is worried about her place burning up in Timmins and we've got frost warnings. Mother Nature has a weird sense of humour.

o

To add insult to injury, yesterday was our average last frost date. :(

Hope your sister's house is okay Marcia!

o

There's frost warnings all over the place for tonight.

I'm not impressed !

My tomatoes in the garage aren't happy, and neither are the ones still in the basement. They all think they should be in the garden by now. I'm also tired of dragging all the other stuff in and out every day.

Good luck everyone !

o

7:30 a.m. and it's +5 outside. Looks like the cloud cover saved the day (or night, as the case may be). Now, let's get on with some good weather!

o

We didn't get it either, although the sky was mostly clear.

Back to being smug...

o

Well, so far we have not had any frost in the city. This is a good thing. All my babies are still in pots on the deck and the deck is still standing. :)

The tomatoes are still growing in their pots and will go into their permanent spots today or tomorrow I guess. I should probably pot up my annuals and herbs too. ;)

I think we are pretty safe here now. Here comes summer!

Ginny

o

We got frost last night!! I had the tender stuff covered though, and it's all good. Nothing was damaged. I wasn't even sure if we got it but DH left for work at 5 and he said there was frost on the car windows.

o

My car windows were kind of white looking early in the morning but were only wet by the time i left for work. It was +2 on the thermometer at 6:30 and i don't think it actually got down to 0. I uncovered everything yesterday so that they could have a look at the sun and then covered them back up. It's +7 this morning, so i'm off to uncover them again - with any luck, it's for good! (But you never know this year).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here