Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Which Will Bloom First Contest 2014

This is a very simple contest alls you have to do is guess which rose out of the list below will bloom first. The prize for guessing right is 100% payout on the number on entries received. So at a mere $5 per entry I suggest multiple entries per person.

To help you the first bunch were all new bare roots this year, John Davis is still in the one gal pot purchased last year. Goldfinch was a rooted cutting from a kind fellow Far North forum member. Campfire was purchased this year as a one gal as was Double Delight in a 5 gal pot. Morden blush, Morden Ruby and Capt Samuel holland were brought here from my dads garden and last but not least is Morden Sunrise which is the only rose I had in the ground last year. Those with an asterisks have yet to break dormancy.

Gruss an Aachen
General Jack *
Reine des Violettes
Mont Blanc
roseraie de l Hay
Rugelda
Maidens blush
Boule de Niege
Louise Odier
Mme Isaac Periere *
Reine Victoria
Comte de Chambord
Rose de Rescht
Tuscany Superb
Nevada *
Penelope
Skyrocket
Stanwell Perpetual
Mme Alfred Cariere
Easy Does it
Felicia
Duchess de Montebello
Belle Amour
Erinnerung an Brod *
Dr Eckener
Hot Cocoa
Felcite et Perpetue
Semiplena
Mme Legras de St. Germain
Chrysler Imperial *
Mister Lincoln *

John Davis *
Morden Blush
Morden Ruby
Morden Sunrise
Capt. Samuel Holland
Double Delight
Campfire
Goldfinch

Good Luck all

SCG

Comments (38)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moments after posting the entries are already coming in so I am envisioning a HUGE prize payout.

Several people have already asked me if I can be bribed. So I will publicly state that this is a legitimate fair contest. Including anything other than your entry fee will do nothing to help your chances *wink* *wink*

As well you can guess here and forum prize will be $10 directly emailed to you.

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

SCG, you really have a great sense of humor and a fun personality to have on this forum. I'll have to drop by for a visit to see how your roses are progressing, just don't tell anyone, okay ... eh??

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

My guess is the one in Spanish Harlem. ;)

Ginny

• myfrozenlittlepond
    9 years ago

Is it just me or does this list suggest a rose hoarder? LOL!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Your absolutely welcome any time Terry and the offer to trial your roses still stands open. Especially that stunning yellow I remember seeing :)

Ginny, heh you just might be close!

Myfrozenlittlepond lol, I am sure my "collection" pales in comparison to others on this forum. As well I think that you can only be called a hoarder when you are over run. I still have 4.5 more acres to plant till I reach that point!

FWIW I am going to estimate the main prize pot to be a 100X what I expected . Keep them coming in.....

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

I'm going to vote for Morden Blush because bareroots often don't bloom the first year for me. I have mailed you $5 worth of valuable cents-off store coupons for my wager.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

Do you take Canadian Tire money?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Northspruce interesting choice. If it was me I would double up on those coupons!

Marciaz3 we absolutely take crappy tire money.

Hopefully the winner will be revealed in the near future!

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

First buds are set on two plants! Get your entries in as this could end quickly!!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

First buds are set on two plants! Get your entries in as this could end quickly!!!

• northspruce
    9 years ago

So? Did I win?

Original Author
    9 years ago

North, Not yet. Still awaiting the blooms to open. If I was you I would send another $5 and guess again.

Just saying.....

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, you are cracking me up!!! LOL!

Original Author
    9 years ago

We now have three front runners and the pot is growing daily! Who will be the one to get the jackpot?

I feel that your entries should arrive by noon the day after the next day to guarantee your entry.

What a success this has been. I look forward to seeing who wins!!!!

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Rose de Rescht Can I send seeds in lieu of the entry fee? :)

Ginny

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ginny your valuable seeds are sure to be worth entry. So we will accept them for entry on rosé de rescht. As a friendly hint I would send more seeds and guess again. *wink*

Boy does hot cocoa have nice foliage. It is one hot plant.

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay folks it is getting soooooo close. But the winner may surprise you as several of the new bare roots are pumping out buds that seem to be maturing fast. The cash award is now absolutely HUGE! Don't miss out on this chance.

SCG

• TanlineTracey
    9 years ago

I'm going with campfire as mine has been blooming nicely and I bought it potted this year too. I will send 200 sunflower seeds of different variety s to u for my guess.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice guess!! While I will admit it has blooms another is ahead, although the first bloom balled. Keep sending your guesses this had gone viral and you might be able to retire if you win!!

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Folks we have a winner!!!!!

The grand prize is huge based on a lot of coupons and promises of seed but......

Drumroll please......

the winner of this years contest.....

drum roll......

is....

Morden sunrise.

And thus the winner is ME..... YAY! who would have thunk it.

Thanks all that participated and I will spend the thousands on more roses....

YAY ME!!!

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

Of the over wintered roses it looks like Marie Bugnet will be first then Roseraie de I' Hay , just some tip die back on these two this past winter. Been squishing some black headed green worms (caterpillars) that have been feasting on new growth.

This post was edited by wayne61 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 10:15

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Now, SCG, that is NO FAIR!

Not only did your Morden Sunrise survive this past winter, it even started to bloom now!!! Alright, please RUB IT IN!!! LOL

In order to compensate for the psychological distress that you have inflicted on me, I think that you should give the money to MOI.... ROTFLOL

9 years ago

I can hardly get out there to check my roses, let alone anything else, because the mosquitoes will carry me away. And i'm no lightweight....

Original Author
    9 years ago

wayne I can't wait to see Roseraie de l'hay blooms. Unfortunately my bare root didn't do well as it is a one cane wonder this year. I keep thinking of replacing it as I can obtain one locally but part of me wants to give this one a chance.

Ostrich although mine showed green canes it came back from the roots only. We don't get much snow here and I didn't do any winter protection. This year I am planning to protect all my roses to some degree. This is the rose that sparked my addiction. It put on a great show last year and the scent was amazing. For your pain and suffering I have emailed you 32.4% of the prize money....hope this helps.

marciaz3 that totally sucks. We are too dry here to have many mosquitoes. To get bit a couple times a night would be a bad evening....though the yellow jackets usually make up for them.

Looking outside I think campfire has opened one flower....I thought it was going to be the winner as it was the first to bud...by at least a week. Gruss an Achen would have been the winner but, for the second time, a dog stepped on it and broke the cane off....plant is now caged lol.

SCG

9 years ago

I noticed some wild roses blooming today. :) And i did have a quick check of some roses and see that Marie Bugnet has a bud.

Has anyone here ever grown 'Delicata'? Mine is amazing! It's at least 5' high and always comes through the winter unscathed. I've never heard anyone here mention it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

marciaz3 how do you find the scent on 'delicata'? I almost came home with hansa today but something stopped me...ended up with replacement emily carr and john davis. The john davis has about 100 buds on it so it was an easy choice lol.

I checked again today, probably for the third time, and quite a few of my new bare roots have buds. I know I am supposed to debud them the first year but not sure if I will have that kind of control.

SCG

9 years ago

If i remember right, it's lightly scented. That's the main thing i usually want from a rose is scent, unless i'm looking for something specific. I would love to have something whose scent drifts across the yard. :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I hope one of my new roses has that scent you describe as a few are supposed to.

Some days you could smell Morden Sunrise on my deck over 30 ft away....thus my new addiction.....

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

Very nice, I am finding that the blooms are lasting a day or so longer on Marie Bugnet this year, hope that they last longer yet.

9 years ago

That might be due to the cooler weather. I've found that a lot of flowers last longer and are brighter when the weather is cool.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

My first bloomer is Blanc Double de Coubert. I think it's been first in previous years too but never really thought about it until all this competition arose. ;)

Original Author
    9 years ago

hehe, So much fun.

I have a few in bloom now

Mordern Sunrise
    Capt. Samuel Jackson
    John Davis
    Morden blush
    Campfire
    Emily Carr

and lots of buds.....Yay roses!!!

9 years ago

Hansa has a few blooms now. I'll have to check on Blanc Double de Coubert, but she's in too much shade and probably isn't blooming yet. There are lots of buds on Therese Bugnet, but that's about it so far.

9 years ago

Was just outside looking around and most of the roses have buds, with the exception of JP Connell and Morden Sunrise. Miss Sunrise had to grow from the ground, and JP has always been a slow starter.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcia that pic is a beaut!!

I am so excited that my alba maidens blush has buds already!!!!

SCG

9 years ago

Delicata has bloomed as well. Was it you who asked about scent, SCG? Very sniffable! :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marcia I will have to be on the look out for one

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists