Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Identification

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 14:38

Someone asked for a reference to weed identification.

I haven't had time to have a good look, but this website looks great.

University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources

www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/weeds_all.html

Whoever has the first chance to review their information, please report back. I'm sure all of us could benefit if it's good info. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Identification

Oh, hey, while we're at it...........

Does anybody know of a good website that shows insects in all stages? I tend to leave most things alone in case I kill the good guys by accident. I only squish the bad guys that I'm sure of.

The weed website and a good insect website could save us a lot of headache :)

o

This might help....

Here is a link that might be useful: Alberta Invasive Plant Identification

o

Here are a couple of links showing weeds in BC:

"Field Guide to Noxious and Other Selected Weeds of British Columbia"

"Weeds BC"

I know very little about insects but fortunately rarely have a problem. Aphids are almost the only ones I've seen in my garden. I guess the birds and toads take care of any that are around before I see them.

o

I have a great wirebound book from AAFRD called Weeds of the Prairies. It has been so useful.

For bugs I use www.bugguide.net but there are so freaking many of them, unless you have a vague idea of the family it's like a needle in a haystack.

o

Now I remember why I bookmarked that website.

It shows pictures of weeds in different stages. Many of them I recognize even though the website is from California.

They also have some pictures of predatory insects. I'm pretty sure now that I've destroyed ladybug eggs because I thought they were something bad :(

I guess I shouldn't sweat any of the bugs in my yard. Other than the little green worms on the roses (what are they called? can't remember, but I squish them between my fingers) I don't seem to have any bugs that do damage. I'd like to think that nature is taking care of itself, at least in my little part of the world :)

The weeds, of course, are a different story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here