Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half Barrel Planters

Posted by seaottercove 2b BC (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 14:41

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing a landscaping project for a friend of mine. I'm helping him figure out what to plant in a flowerbed and he also asked me to help him figure out what to plant in these two half barrels on either side of his driveway. For some reason he would like perennials in both of them. Do you have to chose plants that are one zone or two zones colder than you are for containers? Since we are zone 2b that means that I should be selecting plants that are zone 1 or even zone 0. Which plants fit into that category? I was thinking of planting an evergreen in each of them plus something else that would hang over the side. That is what I've come up with so far. What type of evergreen I don't know, same with the plant that would hang over the side.

So, any suggestions as to what plants I should plant in them? Or should I just tell him he is stuck with annuals?

Thanks,

Syreeta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half Barrel Planters

Hi Syreeta,

One perennial I have in a half barrel that has survived my zone 1B on the deck for three years now has been clematis macropetala 'Blue Bird'. It's right in the middle of the barrel and climbs a metal lattice trellis.

Last summer I also tried using hemerocallis 'Stella D'Oro' with mixed results as half of them made it and half of them didn't. The half which made it were right in the middle of the barrel and had alot of snow cover, while the other half were against a shed and filled the barrel but had early spring snowmelt coming off the shed and into the barrel which probably did them in... probably not the best for barrels.

Hope that helped alittle,
Rob

o

Syreeta, try to convince them to use annuals. I have 4 half barrels and I've tried just about everything and nothing has lasted more than two years as far as perennials. Last year I decided to put in a Petunia Tidal Wave Silver in each container and you should have seen the display, wow!

o

If you can move the barrels inside a shed or garage and cover them in straw they might survive.

I have not had any luck with perennials in my barrels and have reverted to annuals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here