Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What about Hetz Midget Cedar?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 14:52

While I'm asking about the Mugo pine vs Little Giant cedar, shall we add Hetz Midget cedar to the mix?

It was suggested I plant these at the front of the house also, ( on the opposite side of the front entrance from the Mugo pine vs. Little Giant cedar area) with some of the daylilies I bought, plus the mock orange I bought.

Aren't the Hetz Midget almost exactly like the Little Giant??

Any comments or experience with these?

( I hope the expert isn't reading these posts. If so, I don't mean to undermine your expertise, I just want more info and opinions from my main source of information - awesome people on this forum )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What about Hetz Midget Cedar?

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 0:53

I'm definitely not an expert but, I think they are very similar. Not to get too technical, but the botanical name is thuja occidentalis and among it are many cultivars of varying shape and forms.

Monrovia.com said Hetz midget is "Small evergreen shrub has dense, globe shaped growth habit. Rich green needles are arranged in flat layered sprays. grows 3 to 4 feet high and wide"

The same site mentioned about Little Giant: "Small, globe-shaped evergreen shrub. A very versatile and useful plant." and also said up to 4 feet high.

I believe I have hetz Midget at the side of the house and it's grows slow but steady, more like 2 feet high after 10 years.

Another sort of neat one is 'rheingold' which has golden foliage. It gets a bit bigger, according to one site anyway, up to 5 feet (though could be maintained at a certain height with annual trimming).

Where it mentions heights I would take that with a grain of salt - or research multiple sites to get a better idea (average) of the height/width.

Glen

o
RE: What about Hetz Midget Cedar?

Thanks Glen.

I guess if you've had them for 10 years, there can't be much of a problem with them or you would have gotten rid of them.

I'll have to look for larger ones though. I don't want to wait 10 years =:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here