Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Saskatchewan gardeners?

Posted by weeper (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 14:54

Hi, I'm looking to chat with some fellow Saskatchewan gardeners..I live about an hour outside of Saskatoon. I'm zone 2b, but I can also grow zone 3 and some zone 4 stuff. When will you start planting out? The end of May? I have some lilies growing in large jiffy pots that are 6-8" tall already...I started them too early, but I didn't have a place to store them after I bought them at a garden show!

Anything coming up in your garden? I have a few allium sprouts, a few tulip sprouts, and some muscari I think. My daffodils haven't show up yet at all. Some of my daylilies are beginning to show some green shoots, same with my irises.

I'd love to chat! I don't very often find gardeners around here that are as obsessive as I am....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Saskatchewan gardeners?

Hi Weeper, I also live in Saskatchewan. I live about 1 1/2 hours from Saskatoon. Which side of Saskatoon are you on?

I'm pretty obsessive as well. I love my lilies, daylilies, iris and peonies....but as you can tell by my name roses are my first love.

When I will be planting out is entirely dependent on the weather. Usually by mid May I start, but who knows this year. I'm seeing a fair bit of green here I don't think I lost anything which surprises me with the winter we had.

Shelley

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, May 1, 09 at 21:04

Hi Weeper, and welcome to the Far North forum. I'll chime in from the eastern part of the province - close to the Yorkton/Melville area. But you're gonna find that everyone who frequents this forum deals with many of the same issues that we do in this province - at the moment it's the never ending winter and Spring's refusal to spring. Some of us are obsessive, and some are just downright Crazy Gardeners (of course I mean you, Sharon, LOL).

I've got black plastic over my raised beds hoping to warm the soil so that I can plant out snapdragons next weekend. And although the weather's been horrid, I do have quite a few things beginning to sprout new growth - Iris, Daylilies, Sedum, Poppies, Dianthus, and blooms on Draba rigida and Arabis caucasia (pink) have me believing that this cold weather will end sometime soon.

o

Shelley - I live just outside of Young. It is south-east(out on hi-way 16, then 2)of Saskatoon. Some of my year old evergreens are looking a litte brown; I put my burlap shields up too late. I can hardly restrain myself from going on shopping sprees in the greenhouses. Must...resist...no more...window space!! What roses do you have? I just have Morden Blush and Emily Carr. I really like both of them - Morden Blush flowers insanely, and Emily Carr seems very tough and has beautiful blooms (though a lot fewer than Blush)

pudge - Yes, I can't believe how late spring is this year!! If it could just stop freezing every night..I keep half expecting snow one morning. We're having our deck rebuilt right now, so I'm biting my lip about the compaction that is going on in my raised beds(that surround the deck). I guess it can't be helped, but I'm pretty sure some of my bulbs won't be coming up this year...

o

Hi Weeper, welcome to the FN forum, my old hometown was Saskatoon, moved to Alberta in 2000, same zone ;(

You'll find many cold zone gardeners all across Canada and the US hangs out here at the FN forum.

Hope to get to know you better.

Sharon
the downright Crazy Gardener

o

Weeper, I once knew the area well. When I was younger I lived on a farm between Guernsey and Manitou Beach. And my some of my relatives lived in Young. I now live in the Humboldt area.

What roses do I have you say....lots. Check out the link below. I have them all listed except for this years purchases.
It looks like they all have made the winter. Although I haven't really checked Blue Girl all that well.

Shelley

Here is a link that might be useful: The horribly detailed rose report

o

Hi weeper,

My fiancee and I are both obsessive gardeners and we live in Saskatoon. This is my first complete year with a 'real' garden. I started some veggies outside in early April (radishes, arugula) based on my experience last fall that they could take up to -7 without any problems. I also planted tomatoes and strawberries today under a few umbrella greenhouses. I found they give about 4 degrees of protection; and since I live in the city, I might be safe if we don't get any -5 nights. She planted hostas today.

o

Hi weeper, welcome to the forum. I'm now and will probably stay an Alberta girl but I'm originally from Sask too. Around Pudges area, the family farm was between Goodeve and Hubbard. Every year is a new adventure and every year I seem to get more crazy. Things are starting to sprout and it is a good thing cause I'm done with winter. I love this forum, everyone is so friendly and full of wonderful advice. Willing to share a wealth of knowledge and never judgemental. You will love it. Cheryl

o

Hello there everyone. I live in Regina, and nice to see all you Saskatchewanians on here. This is only my second season gardening. I have a plot in a community garden.

I was wondering if someone can advise me about watermelons. Last year, it was mid june before I planted them directly in the garden. They did fabulously, and sprawled all over the garden. I had to untangle them from the cucumbers and the neighbour's zucchini. They grew lovely fruits about the size of a canteloupe. Sweet and good. I ended up harvesting them because it snowed. I did not know when to really harvest them.

I saved the seeds. So this year I have a lot of seeds, but no package saying when you are really supposed to plant them. Or if you plant them indoors first, or what.

Do any of you know? Please let me know. Thanks! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as the summer goes on!

Happy gardening. Sunlover.

o

Wow! This is great! I've been wondering where I could contact other Saskatchewan gardeners and now I know.

Weeper: How long ago did you plant your daffodils? Is this your first time, or have you had luck in previous years? The ones I planted a few years ago never came up, but I just assumed it was too cold here. So far I've got tulips that are almost ready to bloom, others that are far from it, iris that are coming up nicely, a few blooming Johnny Jump Ups =:), a couple other small tulip like flowers ( they opened sometime today when i wasn't looking and are now closed for the night) and I'm really excited because there's lots of green coming from last year's Dianthus in my raised bed.

Sunlover: Sounds to me like you should do almost exactly the same thing you did last year with your watermelons. If you like experimenting, try planting some about three weeks earlier than last year, and some the same time as last year, and see which gives you better results. I bet you'll get so many you'll be giving them away! Be prewarned though. I've never grown them before so I'm just guessing.

Oops. Who mentioned roses? How do you control the aphids? Does Trounce work or does it ruin the color of the blooms? Does anyone have roses that don't need special care, or do they all need to be covered for winter?

O.K. Too many questions all at once.........

o

Wow The Saskatchewan gardeners are popping up like Johnny Jump Ups!!! I live in Regina.

Welcome to the Forum -Weeper,Sunlover & Nutsaboutflowers

Sunlover, I've been planting watermelons for the last 8 years. I just started my watermelons the other day. i don't care for the peat pots cause they seem to get moldy if you water them too much or dry out to quickly if you don't water them enough. Usually I wait till the vine start to dry up before picking mine.

Nutsaboutflowers,I use a insecticide called EcoSence made by Scotts for any bug problems (bought at Pevey mart)

Right now i got about 3000 to 3500 plants started, If you want to chat more send me an email( on my page ) Also got a ton of seeds ( do a lot of trading on Garden Exchange )

Happy Gardening...Bruce

o

Nutsaboutflowers, regarding aphids on roses....just hose them down with water. If they get really bad I use Safers Soap. Trounce would work too, but it is pricier. Dish soap would probably work as well.
All the roses that I grow do not get any special treatment in the winter.

Shelley

o

nutsboutflowers - I planted Poeticus Daffodils...and so far they haven't shown up at all. I'm kind of thinking that I planted them too late last fall. I know you are supposed to plant them in eary fall - like late September - or else they don't have a chance to grow any roots. But I didn't plant until late September...so I wouldn't be surprised if I have to replant next year. It definitely isn't too cold for a lot of different daffodils here, so maybe you had a similar problem with yours? Or perhaps the drainage wasn't adegaute and the bulbs rotted? I'm not totally sure, because this is only my second year having my own garden.

I had bad aphids last year too; I don't think they are usually terribly serious if the roses are well established, but as mine were only planted that year...they survived anyway; I used water, picking (and by picking I mean squishing...yuck!) them, and once or twice I sprayed them. Most plant insecticides will work on aphids, but I don't like to use chemicals unless I have to...they will kill all the good bugs too!

o

Holy Cow ! Sprayman has 3000-3500 plants started ! Are they vegetables, flowers, or both?

Weeper, I'm with you about the bug spray. I only want to get rid of the bad bugs. My aphids on my alyssum last year were so bad that when I finally broke down and sprayed them with Trounce, I could hear clickety clickety click like crazy. I think it was all of them running into each other trying to get away !!?? Are you a coffee drinker? Has anyone told you that your roses love coffee grounds? You said this was only your second year, so I'm not sure if you know that. I've only got one tiny rose bush so far, so I'm hoping enough experienced fellow members will help me along =:)

Does anyone have Irises? Have I maybe just killed them? I didn't get rid of the dead stuff last year, so today I just took my long handled edging clippers and clipped off all the dead, and of course a lot of the new, too. Some days I'm kind of a lazy gardener.

o

Yes, I've heard about the coffee grounds! Gotta love plants for loving garbage. No, you didn't kill your irises..when you transplant irises, you're supposed to cut the fans about 2/3 down...they come back fine! If I forget to get rid of the dead stuff earlier, usually it'll just pull out, rather than having to chop it off.

Heh...I'll have to email Sprayman..I only started about 25 plants from seed this year, and I'm pretty sure a quarter of them are gonners! My first year trying perennials from seed...oh well. They were probably less than 5 cents a seed.

o

Nutsaboutflowers, I got both, but mostly annuals, Veggies are mostly cucs & tomatoes. I even found some of them mini English cucs they are selling in stores now.
If you look at my trade list you get an idea of what I plant
I myself try to stay as organic as possible ( you are what you eat )but sometime the bugs try to take over

o

Welcome nutsaboutflowers!

Does anyone have Irises? Have I maybe just killed them? I didn't get rid of the dead stuff last year, so today I just took my long handled edging clippers and clipped off all the dead, and of course a lot of the new, too. Some days I'm kind of a lazy gardener.

I've a a few hundred Irises, they've been poking for over a week now.

Sharon

o

Hey everyone! This is great ! all kinds of friendly gardeners! :)

Thanks for the advice re watermelons. Nice idea to try different times and see what happens. Then I can see if they do ok when started indoors, etc., if they really need the hot outdoor weather to do well or not. Tonight I planted some of them in peat pots... but now I see they are not maybe the best idea... Well.. we'll see. I have some other seeds as well that I can plant later on.

Irisses seem impervious to anything! My parents have irises and they multiply every year!

Have a great night. Sunlover

o

Hey, Sazzyrose !

I've got my list made up of rose bushes to buy, thanks to your list =:) I only have one spindly little, probably dead, rose bush, so I'm looking forward to trying to keep more of them alive this year. Do you or anyone else here, have any specific hints you've learned that you'd like to share ? Do roses like constant hot and sunny? Our yard is well equipped if they do.....

o

My experiences with roses have been this:

They like all the heat they can get - as long as the soil doesn't dry out. My roses are on the south side of my house in an absolute desert bake-zone, and they just love it - but I had to water them a lot (last year was their first year).

Prune out all suckers. Prune your rose in very early spring to be well balanced when it is young to be a better looking, better producing plant.

Roses like to be fed.

Check OFTEN for bugs and disease. I had a horrible aphid problem last year, mainly because I wasn't looking closely enough when I planted them and a lot of damage was done.

Water their roots, not their leaves!

Try to plant them in their permanent location; it isn't that they can't be moved, but it's a shame to loose some of that root system...mine put out a lot of deep roots after only one year. (I know because I had to move them!)

I know that is all pretty basic, and I'm no expert. That is just some stuff that I found out last year with my Emily Carr and Morden Blush. Somebody with more experience...feel free to step in!

o

I saw the most beautiful and exciting things today...........three massive bumble bees having fun in my yellow crocuses ( at least I think they must be yellow crocuses) and a white and blue butterfly =:) We've also got lots and lots of wonderful lady bugs =:) anybody else having a great day like I am?

o

Hey perennial lovers, what's your opinion or expertise about this? I'm in Zone 2b. We built a raised bed a few years ago out of landscape bricks, piled 4 high. It's about 3'x12' with 2 semicircle fronts. I was told that perennials would be a problem above the frost line. Well, so far I have 6 tulips that are coming up, and 12 dianthus that are doing really well. Is this unusual or am I lucky? I pulled out the gallardia just recently because I assumed it must be dead. Would it have looked dead but possibly still living?

o

Personally, I think it's too early to throw in the towel on any plants yet. I thought my liatris was dead, but today I looked again and there is one little green shoot coming up.

As for the raised bed...I definitely haven't had any problem in my own garden this year, or in my mums garden that I grew up with. It's not like they're in pots! Just my limited experience.

o

Hi everyone...I'm from Saskatchewan too- Canora/Yorkton area. I'm kinda new to gardening-first garden (all kinds of veggies) last year. Everything turned out great and then some...had enough potatoes and tomatoes to feed half of sask...LOL Going to try some flowers this year too. Wasn't today just beautiful?Finally feels like spring..spent all day outside in the garden.

o

Tue, May 12, 09 at 9:10

Nutsaboutflowers, Dianthus prefers the well drained soil that raised beds provide, and yes, they should winter just fine. I have Dianthus wintering several seasons in comparatively small hypertufa containers. Other perennials could be hit or miss - those planted toward the center of the raised beds will have more chance of survival than those planted at the edge (except Dianthus). Gaillardia can be short lived at the best of times.

Weeper is right, it is still early and some plants haven't woken up yet. Patience can be a tough sell to a gardener, LOL. You can do a tug test, though, which can give you a pretty good idea. Gently tug at the old stems/foliage. If the roots of the plant come away with no resistance, then the plant is probably a goner. But if you give it a tug and are met with the feeling of roots holding strong, that's a good indication that plant has survived.

Welcome, prairiegirl47, and good luck with your garden this year.

o

Hi Nutsaboutflowers,

I mostly just lurk here, absorbing and learning lots. I, too, am in zone 2b. I can tell you my experience about raised beds made of landscape bricks. I was worried, too at the time we built ours! Mine is L-shaped, and about 10 feet on each side by about 30 inches wide. It is in light shade. I have a mix of both annuals and perennials. The perennials are dwarf irises, campanula 'Blue Clips", dwarf bleeding heart, astilbe, and a "Happy Returns" daylily. Oh, I almost forgot, I also have a heuchera "Plum Pudding". All these are now going into their fourth summer, and so far have returned very nicely. I'm glad to hear about dianthus - maybe I'll try them too since I really love them!

This picture was taken in August of last year, so the Blue Clips are just about finished.

planter Aug 08

o

saskadaisy: Thanks so much for the picture and info. It's encouraging. Your setup is a little more sheltered than mine, with what looks like your garage on one side (?) but I doubt that makes much difference. I guess all I need to do is try something, probably a few of what you have, and see what happens. Thanks for not just lurking this time =:)

o

Seems like I have not been here for some time and look at all the news and new folks gathering. We live just north of Saskatoon and it is generally very dry so I have killed more trees and shrubs than I care to think about. I am into growing Edible Blue Honeysuckle (seed from many places), Clematis (about 30 varieties plus many seedlings), and lots of other fruit plants and flowers. I have also started a bunch of daylilies from seed as well as several other lily types so waiting for new blooms this year...maybe!
Discovered that the moles took out my Orange Crush and Catherine Woodbury Daylilies so its off to shop for plants. Oh darn!

You can follow some of our exploits on my blog. Also check out such folks as Northern Gardener. She does a great job in the La Ronge area which has to be a test of your fortitude as far as gardening goes. Good luck to all!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Prairie Journal in Saskatchewan

o

Hello cmmwiebe: (Or anyone else)

Sounds like you might be an expert on growing clematis. I planted 2 of them last year. I think one is a Jackmani and the other a Nelly Moser (?) I planted them in two different locations, but both hot and sunny and tried to protect the roots from the sun. How do I know if they survived? The few spindly little stems I got last year ( I got two blooms also) appear to be deader than a doornail. Should I just water and fertilize just in case there's root growth?

o

Regarding Clematis!!!
Please be patient. I have several that on any given year will show up in mid to late June. Of course they are very late to produce good flowers but they are still alive. Treat the area the way you would any of your perennial areas being careful not to dig too deeply. If you are sure of where they might be, you can scratch around and look for new shoots but they can come from down deep. I have about 25-30 and so far they are coming but there are still some no-shows. I am very anxious to get some of my seedlings in the ground as I have about 40, mostly Clematis integrifolia (Tapestry, alba, Olgae, Rosea,Floris V from a great grower in England) as well as some evergreen C. cirrhosa from a friend in Japan. These will need some kind of indoor place for winter(maybe in hanging pots). Great fun.
What I am intrigued with these days are Morning Glories as I have started about 13 varieties and still see so many others which I don't have.

Clayton

o

Hello fellow Sask. gardeners, again. TGIF !(Zone 2b or 3)

Does anyone have experience or an opinion about emerald cedars? Do they actually survive here? It seems places like Canadian Tire, etc., love to sell them, but garden centres won't guarantee cedars. I get frustrated when places sell plants and trees that don't grow very well here. I have a somewhat shady spot where I'd like to plant them. The area currently has raspberry bushes which I love. However, right beyond the fence is a dog run and our neighbour never seems to clean up the dog crap. Eating raspberries grown there kind of gives me the heebeegeebies.
I'm also considering another spot which is hotter and sunnier. Could I put cedars there, or would mock orange maybe be a possibility?. I like pest resistance trees =:) My book doesn't give that type of information =:(

o

Nutsaboutflowers - I looked up some info on the emerald cedar..it is zone 4 - it would probably survive, but wouldn't thrive. I would suggest a different cedar; there are plenty that are zone 3 and even zone 2. Do you need one that isn't too tall? Thuja occidentalis 'Techny'
Techny Cedar is an option (12' tall). If you don't need a shorter one, I have 'Skybound'(18 + feet)...it's great! Very hardy, browning resistance. It is an improvement on the Brandon cedar. Since cedars are prone to winter browning, I would personally go for something more hardy than the emerald cedar; you might just be setting yourself up for some disappointment next spring. Cedars should do well in part sun though, or full sun for that other spot. As for mockorange, 'Galahad' and a couple others are supposed to be hardy to zone 3, and do well in full sun. I have read that you might get some tip die-back in winter. Mock Oranges are supposed to have good pest resistance. I haven't had any trouble with my cedar either.

One thing about cedars - make sure whatever type you want to get are in a fairly sheltered location. I think even the hardier types are prone to browning in exposed locations.

o

Thanks Weeper. I've added your suggestions to my shopping list. I'm going to do a web search for pictures, too =:)

Crazy Gardener, (Sharon)you there? Somewhere in your pictures you have an amazing photo of either your front or back step. You have some beautiful tall blue flowers, among other things, of course. I'm not an expert in this computer stuff and have been unable to find it again. Is there any way you could put the picture here and tell me what the flowers are?

Another general question for everyone. Do you plan and plan where to plant certain things, or do you just see something at the greenhouse, buy it, plant it, and see what happens? If I just "plunk things in" am I going to just end up with one big mess? If I at least consider height of the plants, will I be O.K.?

Have I asked too many questions yet??

o

Hi Weeper. ( and of course anyone else who wants to comment) It's me again. I did some web searching and looked up thuja occidentalis smaragd cedars and thought they would be good. Rushed to Walmart ( I don't even like Walmart, particularly for plants because the people there don't know what they're selling. I prefer greenhouses) Anyway, I gleefully bought 6 of them only to do more searching and now find out they're Emerald Green ( I think?) which you suggested I stay away from. Well, I'm hoping where I'm putting them is sheltered enough and I'll have some good luck with them....I should have known better than to shop at Walmart for unfamiliar plants. Oh, and on that note, I also bought 3 Dark Pink Belleza because they looked pretty. I don't have a clue how or if they'll grow, hee, hee! I think after all the crappy weather, I just had to buy something !

o

Nutsaboutflowers...I am a little late replying about the roses. My advise for roses is quite simple:
Try to but own root and plant them deeper than the pot. For a general rule I plant 4" to 6" deep from the crown.
They like sun...so planting in full sun is the best.I would advise planting in the open rather than by the foundation of your house. They perform much better plus they are less susceptible to bugs.
Don't crowd them together. Give them room to breath. This will prevent some of the fungal diseases.
Water well weekly and fertilize once a month. But as a general rule, I stop fertilizing in August...this gives them time to prepare for the winter.
I dead head all spent blooms so they continue to produce better. But I quit doing this at the end of August for the winter preperation as well.

Photobucket

Rose Garden

My rose garden last year. It is over 40' long. I have extended this year and now an L shape. Photos to follow this summer...that is if we ever get this season. It is a whopping 3*C out today.

Shelley

o

Sazzyrose (Shelly) :

OMG what a beautiful yard ! You put my uphill battle to shame. I've clipped your tips =:) BTW What are the tall blue flowers?

Are you sure you don't live on Vancouver Island and not Saskatchewan?? Some of our old neighbours there had yards like that but I haven't seen many like that here. You obviously have a whole green hand, not just a green thumb, hee, hee!

o

Thank you. The blue flowers are Monkhood aka Aconitum . They love it in the rose bed because I water this bed the most.
It isn't hard to grow roses...you just have to search for roses that will thrive in our climate.
These are the roses that I have added this year.
Captain Samuel Holland
Sweet Fragrance
Salmon Impressionist
Linda Campbell
Belle Isis
Cardinal de Richlieu
Celestial
Dr. Merkley
Goldbusch
Harison's Yellow
Kakwa
Mme. Plantier
Louis Jolliet
Good Life
Morden Amorette

Shelley

o

Way to go Shelley! I love the color. We are just so dry here on the north side of Saskatoon that they grow but struggle and at this point my blue honeysuckle (Haskap to some) get first priority as they are like a small research project.

Clayton

o
Oops! They were flea beetles not aphids

I learned something new today. On Tues. may 5th @ 15:01, Post #14 in Any Saskatchewan Gardeners, I talked about the black aphids on my alyssum that went clickedy clickety click when I sprayed them with Trounce. I thought there were so many that maybe they were running into each other when they were trying to get away, or maybe exploding or something. Well, I talked to a man at the greenhouse today, and when I told him about it, he said the clickety click was flea beetles. Apparently, or according to him, they come off canola crops. Yuck!

o

I don't grow alyssum just because of this reason. They stay away if you use a cabbage powder on them. But who wants to cover blooms with that crap.

Shelley

o

Crazy Gardener, (Sharon)you there? Somewhere in your pictures you have an amazing photo of either your front or back step. You have some beautiful tall blue flowers, among other things, of course. I'm not an expert in this computer stuff and have been unable to find it again. Is there any way you could put the picture here and tell me what the flowers are?

Sorry, haven't been around, on vacation and busy planting ;)

Maybe you seen the Delphiniums?

Sharon

o

Yes, that's them =:)

It doesn't appear that you've staked them. Will they take a windy spot or all fall over?

Thanks for taking the time to get the picture for me.

o
butternut squash on trellises?

Hi again, folks!

Does anyone know if you can grow butternut squash on trellises? I have 11 strong sprouts and I'd like to grow all of them if I can - and leave room for cukes, watermelons, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lettuces etc etc. My plot is 10x40 feet.

Have any of you had success with butternut squash in Saskatchewan? Maybe other zone 2s? I'm in Regina.

Nice garden pics!!! Sunlover.

o

One year I grew a Spaghetti Squash,the vine got about 16'
I was running out of room, so I ran it up the good neighbor fence & ran the vine between the fence boards on the 2x4. when it started to make squashes I tied them to the top of the fence. That year I got 32 Squash , 5 to 7 pounds, off the one plant
That year I also ran the Pumpkin up a 4' stump & had a 30 pound Pumpkin growing on top of it
If your trellis is fairly strong , go for it. you just have to take the time to train it.

o

My "apricot impression" tulips are blooming! Unfortunately, some deer decided that the blooms are tasty, and I lost a few...so I cut off the rest and put them in a vase. I'd rather enjoy them inside than not at all!

Has anyone grown gladiolus in Saskatchewan? I started quite a few in pots at the beginning of April, and I'm having some issues. Some of them are quite tall already, and I'm in the process of trying to harden them off - but the leaves are so long and floppy they are just bending/breaking in the wind - even though I have them in a relatively sheltered area. Should I have waited to plant them outside this spring so they would have had stronger leaves/stems to begin with? I was afraid they might not bloom before frost if I didn't start them early. This is my first year with gladiolus...I think the blooms are beautiful.

o

Wed, May 27, 09 at 1:28

I assume you're going to plant those glads in the ground? If so, you can plant them deep with just the top couple inches of green showing above the soil. For hardening off, can you put your containers of glads in a large empty pot, or 5 gallon pail or something similar? That would protect them from the wind.

o

Hi Weeper ! I love gladiolas and yes, I've grown tons of them in Saskatchwan. It's been quite a few years since I've grown them, (now I'm wondering why). I had a girlfriend who hated them, so I used to plant tons of them at the front of the house, so that when she came over, she'd have to walk right past them. I thought maybe she'd learn to like them.

Anyway, I think you may have made a mistake starting them indoors. I never ever did that. I always just plunked them in the ground and got beautiful blooms long before frost. The area I had them in could get fairly windy, so sometimes they'd flop over, but that could be easily remedied with any stick I could find. I also planted them close together so they could sort of prop each other up.

I'm guessing you'll have to stake and maybe tie with pantyhose to keep yours up. I'm pretty sure you'll still get nice blooms, although someone else might have more recent experience.

Here's hoping you get lots of beautiful blooms !

o

You know, when it comes to my gardening experiences, usually I seem to learn best from mistakes! Bah! Oh well...I'll plant them in the ground and put them deep enough to prop up the stems where the flopped over. Thanks for the advice you guys; I think next year I'll try planting my gladiolus in the ground around the middle of May or something, and see what time of year I get blooms.

nutsaboutflowers - that's hilarious. Planting something in particular, hoping it'll "make" someone like them more sounds like something I'd do. :D

o

Weeper:

My friend's mother had a beautiful yard that would compete with Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island.

Learning from your mistakes and just trying again, is what she says everyone needs to do. It makes it more satisfying.

Keep it up !

o

Does anyone have any info on cedar tree? I have a cedar tree that turned rusty brown this spring the foilage is still soft and bendable I did fertilize it alot last year with the push in the spikes. I don't know savable!

o

I don' know a lot about cedars, however, Weeper said earlier that cedars are prone to winter browning in exposed locations. Check the previous postings here. What type of cedar do you have?

One thing I do know, is that if you have clay soil, the fertilizer spikes don't work very well, at least that's what I was once told. They don't dissolve very well. The water soluble crystals are better absorbed by the roots. Also, depending where you live, greenhouses don't have warranties on cedars. A lot of cedars just don't like it here!

Good Luck!

o

What does everyone grow for echinaceas? Has anyone had any luck with the Big Sky series? I've heard some pretty aweful reviews about them - and from warmer zones then ours as well. And yet...I see them in the perennial section in greenhouses...

I planted regular echinacea purpurea, 'prairie splendor', 'magnus', 'coconut lime', 'liliput', and 'pink double delight'. I love the colors...but I'm a little worried about whether they'll all make it next spring. Anyone else have experience to share?

o

Hi there, I am Krista, living in Aberdeen just 30km NE of Saskatoon. Nice to find a cool thread where I am from! I am an indoor gardener at the moment but hope to change that into outdoor and greenhouse gardening. Right now I have great danes and a pit bull so it makes it difficult to do any gardening. My yard is gravel.

o

Hi there, I am Krista, living in Aberdeen just 30km NE of Saskatoon. Nice to find a cool thread where I am from! I am an indoor gardener at the moment but hope to change that into outdoor and greenhouse gardening. Right now I have great danes and a pit bull so it makes it difficult to do any gardening. My yard is gravel.

o

Do I count if I live in Manitoba, but was born and raised in Saskatchewan? I always check the Environment Canada weather for my hometown! I was raised on a farm near Verigin and caught my love of gardening there.

We now live about 90 miles pretty much due east from where I was brought up. I find the climate and gardening environment is a little different from up the escarpment and on the plateau,

You can take a girl out of Saskatchewan but you can't take Saskatchewan out of the girl!

o

Hi. Could anyone provide me some advice regarding trees, shrubs, plants that will be hearty in Saskatchewan? I love east of Last Mountain Lake near Govan, Saskatchewan? Mouthm2

o

Hi all.
I am a pretty new gardener who just moved to Wilkie sk.
I am building several more beds for hydrangeas and am curious if anyone else is growing them.
Lots of flowers and veggies every year but wife wants hydrangeas.

o

The big, showy, mophead hydrangeas (macrophylla) are not hardy for here. I know someone who is growing them in Saskatoon but hers is an exception. There are some varieties that will survive...I am growing one called Pinky Winky (paniculata) and it comes back reliably every year.

Make sure you read up on the zones because more than one plant nursery has offered plants that haven't a chance of surviving our harsh winters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here