Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse Beds

Posted by Thirsty_Dirt_77 3a (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 15:12

It's a late start but we've finally got the greenhouse on the go.

Inside we are going to created beds along the perimeter walls that will be about 18" deep. They won't have bottoms because I would like the plants to be able to grow deep if they choose to. :)

Anyway, we are building the greenhouse over an area where there is currently grass (it was never really taken care of other than being cut, we have too much grass to baby.) Should I remove this grass before I fill the beds? Or can i just do a quick till to loosen the dirt and grass and pile my dirt on top?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse Beds

Depends on the grass. If it's typical lawn grass, then you shouldn't have to do anything but pile your dirt on top and smother it. If it's a grass that spreads by runners (quack grass et al), then it *will* come through eventually; you're best off killing it first. Whatever you do, don't till a grass that spreads by runners. *shudder*

o

How about a heavy layer of cardboard under your bed? That should work to smother the grass.

o

How about a heavy layer of cardboard under your bed? That should work to smother the grass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here