Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this tree?

Posted by honalee 3a (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 15:19

My neighbour has a large tree (about 25-30 feet) and over 50 years old that blooms like a lilac. The blooms are white and kinda droopy but look like lilacs and are sweetly scented. The tree is just loaded with bloom! Is there such a thing as a tree lilac? Full bloom May 24 Zone 3a Edmonton.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this tree?

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/SYRRETC.pdf

It is a lilac but a Japanese lilac tree not bush as the more common ones are. This one is actually a tree--the botanical name for it is syringa reticulata. Read the link above

o

Mayday or Chokecherry.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 19:00

That sounds like my Mayday tree, mine is just starting to bloom now. The branches droop gracefully..Jean

o

I find it hard to believe a Mayday smells sweet. But then that's just me. I think they stink.But by the time of the bloom time it could be Mayday.

o

Yes, Mayday trees are in full bloom now and droopy.

Konrad

o

Yep, looks like a mayday tree alright! It's gorgeous! I grew up in this house and therefore right next door to this beautiful tree and this is the first time I have seen it bloom! Since the original owner passed the new owners cleared some of the lot and renovated the old house. They opened up that side of the yard and it looks so different. But very nice to see that beautiful tree! I got a tour of the house too! Awesome!

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here