Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Need Advice Redoing Lasagna Bed

nutsaboutflowers
10 years ago

From reading all the great advice on this forum, I think I know what I can do, but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Four years ago (?) I redid a grassy/weedy area and did the lasagna method before planting. When I did an inspection today, it appears it's sunk enough that I should redo it. My two rose bushes are showing their roots above the soil at least two inches, maybe three.

In the bed I have two rose bushes, 5-6 daylilies (which are in a lower spot now than the roses), liatris, Royal Candles speedwell, a low creeping ground cover with purple flowers ( the name escapes me) and some type of phlox ( again the name escapes me), and a bunch of irises.

As far as I know all of these can be dug up, kept in a holding bed while I build up the area in question, and then replant the works without doing much harm to the plants.

It can be done, right? How long can things be in the holding bed before it's too late to move them back? Any and all advice appreciated :)

Comments (6)

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

I think all of those can be moved fine, as long as they are kept watered. As I'm sure you know, pretty much anything is better off being moved in early spring, except for irises being moved in fall. But I've moved pretty much everything at all times during the summer, and I don't think I lost anything as long as they were well watered. You may not get flowers on your irises, and if you do, you may want to cut them off without blooming so they save their energy.

As far as how long to keep in a holding bed...IMO the best thing would be for them to stay put in the holding bed until later summer/early fall and then transplant. But as I said, I think they could be moved back at any time, it just takes more TLC. Even though they say that fall is a great time to transplant perennials, I have lost a few doing it that way...I think sometimes they just don't have enough time to get settled and get over being stressed before it starts freezing.

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

Well, I guess I'm just lazy cause I would just continually pile stuff (soil and/or stuff that eventually turns into soil) on top instead of digging up and replanting. Most of my pruning from the garden just gets tossed back on top of the soil. I call it mulch :) I don't see anything wrong with adding some soil/manure mix on top of the roots of the rose bushes, and then adding mulch over the whole bed.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pudge, I had thought of that, but won't the daylilies and irises in particular, hate being covered? Parts of the bed are a good 3 inches lower than it should be.

I like your comment saying "I guess I'm just lazy". I think you and I are older than Weeper, so therefore we've become seasoned and don't want as much extra work if we can help it. I for one, like efficiency. :) When I was young like her, I was gung ho and had lots of energy. You agree Weeper??

If and when I move everything, I'll be letting them keep a lot of their original soil, filling in everything with soil and compost, and then replanting.

If I plan ahead, I could probably get it accomplished in two afternoons.

Yes? No?

• northspruce
    10 years ago

I don't like moving roses, at all, ever. But people do it.

The rest should be fine. I've moved irises at different times and they lived. Daylilies are good to move in early spring. The ground cover would probably be lamium and it's indestructible - you can chop it up and the pieces will grow. Liatris grows from a funky bulb that looks a bit like fennel, it moves fine. Phlox isn't picky. Never grown speedwell.

I hate to say I told you so but I am not a believer in lasagna beds. ;)

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

Well, I think I'm gung ho in the planning phase, and then part way through the carrying-it-out phase, I go "what the heck was I thinking?!!"

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Touché Katie!!! And I am old, sore and creaky so you'd think I would know better by now!! Hardly! Once an addict.......

Lynn, you should have no problem moving any of your plants as long as you move soil with them. I have always shifted things around and may have to do a whole lot more of that this fall. Why, oh why, do I like creating work for myself? Oh yeah, I think I already answered that.

Happy gardening everyone! Remember this is supposed to be relaxing and rejuvenating! :) Lol!

Ginny

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm