Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper Nails

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 15:42

Does anyone know if copper nails would kill an average sized adult Manitoba Maple tree? And how many would I have to hammer in, and how long would it take to die? Thx. (don't ask)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper Nails

Not sure, what I do to kill trees is pealing back the bark around the stem, it doesn't have to be wide, I usually take
a axe and chop about a five inch strip all the way around.
Konrad

o

Thanks Konrad, I guess I will do that. I didn't want it to be obvious because it's a boulevard tree I want to get rid of. The city will cut it down for free if it dies. Half of it blew down in a wind storm last summer and I want the rest gone because it shades my roses and I'm allergic to its pollen. And it's butt ugly.

o

You alternate steel and copper nails. The chemical reaction poisons the tree. I don't know how long it takes. My grandfather told me this, among many vivid depression era stories.

o

northspruce,

Is there any way you can try to find out the "fine print" in your local by-laws before proceeding?? I ask because there was a story on our local radio station the other day about a fellow who cut down 2 trees on his blvd.

First he was charged as it is actually illegal as the trees belong to the city and not the homeowner....that was bad enough...now here is the catch...the city is taking him to court to sue for the "mature value" of each tree. It was estimated that it could be up to $ 5,000.00 per tree. YIKES!!

In our city you can get a blvd tree planted before you are scheduled for one by paying part of the cost. Since yours is half dead anyway perhaps the city will remove it and replant something you are not alergic to if you offer to pay for the tree.

Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here