Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Prairie Fire crabapple

Does anyone grow this? Would you recommend it for a zone 3 (yeah i know, technically zone 2b) garden? It's another of the Canadian Tire trees and it says USDA 4 - not sure, but is their 4 the same as our 3, or am i getting something mixed up?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

I checked Zone USA 3 / 4 . Zone 4 only to -35. And every Prairie fire is only zone 4. May have some die back but is worth it if it is cheap enuff and they give you a years guarantee.\also looks like a beautiful tree, The only thing I wouldn't be too crazy about is that the fruit does not drop.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, this is Canadian Tire, so no guarantee. Remember, we're "a mix of zone 3 and zone 5 around here"! LOL The tree was $50, so maybe i'll pass on it and see if i can find one that's actually hardy here. I liked the deep pink flowers and the purplish leaves, though.

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Check out Gladiator Crab. It is hardy to zone 2 and seems to be a lot like prairie fire. Available in Manitoba for sure

Original Author
    13 years ago

Next week, i'm going to look at some different garden centres, and will see what they have. There might even be a Gladiator at Canadian Tire - there were a few different ones there.

• dannie
    13 years ago

Marcia, I am pretty sure that is the crab that we planted two years ago and this year, there is no sign of the leaf buds swelling yet. I hope we haven't lost it but it isn't looking good. If it is dead, I am replacing it with either Dolgo or Makamik. They are both zone 2. I wanted one that is disease free (my crab in the front of the house gets scab) and one that was hardy. I narrowed it down to these two:

Dolgo Crabapple: (Malus 'Dolgo') A dwarf growing to about 15-20'. Spread about 15', blooms early with a white 2" flower. Very ornamental, brilliant crimson fruit makes wonderful jelly of fine flavor and color.

Malus 'Makamik'
    Large, semi-double rosey-red flowers expand from dark red buds. Lots of purple-red fruit is produced in fall and persists into winter. A very hardy tree with a dense, rounded crown and bronze leaves. Very resistant to scab.

HTH

Danni

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dannie! Just went and looked at the info on the crabapple i have and it just says "Pink". Hmmmm. LOL It was a gift a couple of years ago, and probably from Canadian Tire or Extra Foods. So far so good with it - no disease. Makamik sounds like another that i'd like, as i want the darker leaves and pink flowers. The fruit itself is just for the birds. :)

Thanks!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Another crabapple whose name has caught my eye is Thunderchild. A friend in Thompson, MB, had it, so i figure it must be hardy. Anyway, my first stop in the crabapple hunt this afternoon was Walmart, and lo and behold, there was one Thunderchild there! I paid for it and will bring it home tomorrow - had to come home and get the extra seat out of the van so it would fit. It's in full bloom, and i never thought about checking the leaf colour. Oh well, i might have to get another different one if the leaves aren't dark! LOL

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Good choice. Thunderchild is gorgeous.I think the leaves are purple.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Marcia - I have two Schubart chokecherry trees. They get purple leaves, white blossoms, and the birds love the berries. If you were within a hundred miles of our place, you could have them for free, LOL.

I prefer my trees to be green =:)

Original Author
    13 years ago

I want the darker coloured leaves because it will be set against some evergreens and it will stand out nicely that way. :)

Thanks for the offer, nutsaboutflowers! LOL

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Marcia, you're right about the contrast with the evergreens. I planted 3 junipers to help the shubarts blend in and not be so "in my face". I get your wish for the pink flowers. Nothing beats that in the spring.

You know, somebody could make a lot of money if they'd hang around places and deliver stuff for people that don't have a way to get things home the minute they buy it, LOL. I'd have twice as much planting to do =:)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Today i bought two bags of potting mix from the store. Someone looked at it, and said, "That looks like it means work". I said "Nope, looks like it means fun!" And i'm sure twice as much planting would be twice as much fun for you!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?