Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Johnny Jump Ups

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 16:12

I just spent the past 2 hours digging these b**** out of my flowerbed. I actually found a daylily that these were hiding! Last year I had a few JJU but I never dreamed they would travel so fast that they would take over 12' of the bed! They are so pretty but I've never had them this invasive before. Now I can see the gaps where I need new plants. Before I do that, I need to add some more new topsoil. We're finally getting some nice weather but I'm wishing for some of the rain we had last month, it's really starting to get dry here. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Johnny Jump Ups

Hee hee ! (sorry)

You must have been like me and let them go to seed instead of snipping them off first =:)

Mine hopped into the lawn two years ago, but didn't reappear the next year.

I love them though (sentimental value) so I'd never have the heart to dig them up.

BTW We had nice weather last week and it's going to be crappy all this week. Darnit anyway !

o

They're crazy! But my granddaughter loves them so i try not to dig them out - too many of them, that is! ;D

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 8:53

NAF: I don't mind them in the lawn. Each time they are mowed down they seem to get shorter and makes the lawn look nice!
Marcia: I've left a few that will surely spread by next year again. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment! Marg

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 9:12

I like them too! Now, vinca, that's another matter altogether!

o

I love them too, you just need to have a four year old around and tell her she can pick as many as she wants. Kayleigh feeds them to our chickens. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here