Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Are Your Irises Blooming Yet?

nutsaboutflowers
11 years ago

I'm happy to report that I have a large amount of irises that are blooming.

Tall yellow ones, Rhein Nix, and the ones I planted last fall, Forever Blue and Mini Plic.

I'm hoping this is just a hint of what's to come this year!

Comments (19)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Is Forever Blue a repeat? I have Forever Violet and she repeated for me twice last fall, once at the beginning of Sept. and again at the end of Sept. Here's a few that I have blooming. It was windy when I took the pics so believe me when I say I wasn't drunk! Marg

This one has been identified as possibly being Cardinal, 4'. It has a strong grape fragrance.

Stepping Our, not quite as fragrant but just as tall.

This is Yosemite Star and Immortality.

{{gwi:748295}}

Morning Show, stays about 2'.
    {{gwi:748297}}

Eagles Flight
    {{gwi:748299}}

Ming
    {{gwi:748301}}

Immortality closeup
    {{gwi:748303}}

Distant Chimes
    {{gwi:748305}}

Forever Violet
    {{gwi:748308}}

My hosta garden visitor, a gray tree frog.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

A few of my dwarf irises are blooming or have bloomed. Raspberry Jam always blooms early. Sail Away, Blueberry Tart, Heather Carpet, Eramosa Snowball, and another unknown blue are presently blooming. Stalks on lots of others. :)

Sadly, I also lost a few of my rather established ones. Odd winter we had. :(

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Nothing yet, not even any of the sibs. :(

• northspruce
    11 years ago

My SDBs & IBs are blooming and a couple are finished. The MDB is done. My two early TBs are fully budded out already, probably going to bloom next week. Very early spring this year...

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just love it when people post pictures. Marg, Forever Blue is supposedly a strong rebloomer. Do I have to do anything to ensure it does?

It's interesting that some of us don't have any yet and some are done, and some of course are blooming now.

Ginny, rather odd your established ones didn't make it. They're probably used to very cold winters and just didn't know how to take a mild one, ha, ha!

Lynn

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can I please ask a silly question?

Marg's 8th picture, the Distant Chimes (beautiful BTW) has what I think are chives on the right side. I don't really like chives, but DH does, and a friend gave me some last year. Can you eat them during, before, after, they bloom? Should I cut off the blooms?

Thanks!

• northspruce
    11 years ago

You can eat chives at any time but they get a little tough and shabby later in the season. I avoid eating the blooms and the blooming stalk just because they're too tough, but the whole plant is edible. Later in the season I pick through for newer growth.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alrighty then =:)

I'll snip some off for DH tomorrow.

Thanks!

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Here are some of mine that I took last week.

SDB Mystic Smile

SDB was supposed to be Leprechaun's Purse but I'm pretty sure it's Spirit Guide

An old historic that came with the house, very prolific and has a pleasant smell:

One of my favourite SDBs, I got it from Brenda without a name but we call it #18

IB Scout (my favourite! It has spoons!)

• valleyrimgirl
    11 years ago

Gil,

#18 now has a name!!! Michael Paul.

Bought Michael Paul from a friend after you got #18 from me, and identified it that way.

I love it! It's so dark!!!

Brenda

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

NAF: I was talking to a lady who grows a irises about repeating irises. She says she believed the most important thig to do was make sure it got plenty of water. I tried that and it worked. This year I will see if my TB will rebloom.

Northspruce: I really like your Mystic Smile, NOID and Scout. I have a German iris that spoons. Maybe they can get together?

Marg

Marg

• northspruce
    11 years ago

That is so great Brenda! Thanks! I feel a little odd having a name for it now. ;0)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Marg.

Let's try to remember to report back if and when we get reblooming =:)

Lynn

• Mercury_Z3
    11 years ago

I am still waiting for mine to bloom! And I just got my answer to why I have only been seeing one flower per plant... Gotta get them watered more...

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

Bloomin' irises! Had to get out this morning and get a picture of City of Stratford. She hasn't blooomed for 3 years or more!

City of Stratford

Cheese Cake

Tennison Ridge

Celebration Song

Proud Tradition

Sultry Mood

Blueberry Tart

Dazzling Gold

Live Music I think

Autumn Tryst

Lullaby Of Spring

Group shots in my very natural setting

Aachen Elf still blooming away

And that's it for today:)

Ginny

• Mercury_Z3
    11 years ago

They're so beautiful Ginny!!!

*Hides in a corner in fetal position and cries*

• savona
    11 years ago

Iris season is just starting here.Beautiful iris everyone...Jean

Silver Edge siberian iris...just picked it up last weekend

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

My sibs and 'Rhein Nixe' have started - no sign of bloom on any of the others. :(

• northspruce
    11 years ago

My TBs are blooming now. Looks like almost all of them will bloom this year!