Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I almost did it.....

Posted by crazydaisy_68 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 16:45

The picture on the seed package lured me in and I purchased what looked like a lovely white flowering annual plant. Once I arrived home I looked more suspiciously at that picture on the package and I knew that I had nearly been sucked in by the evil, evil Bishops Weed... packaged in lovely "sheeps clothing" to entice the gardening-starved innocents like me **insert evil laugh** mahaaa-haaaaa-haaaa! BUT look who gets the last laugh???? LOL

Ang
who is getting her gardening groove back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I almost did it.....

Well, if you have a certain area to fill in, I suppose Bishops Gout Weed serves it's purpose. I think most gardeners, however, like to diversify their plantings and not have one plant fill an entire 8 x 3 foot flower bed.

My weakness was visiting the local store where they apparently "sell for less" everyday. It's an annual tradition for me, if you go there this time of year, they often get one gallon conifers and shrubs in stock. Some years you can find unique plants that sometimes I have trouble finding at the garden centre. Last year it was 'degroot's spire' cedar and 'curly tops' falsecypress. Anyways, this year they seemed to have a good selection but unfortunately, most plants were listed as 'zone 5' right on the tag.

So, my common sense kept me from buying those azaleas (they weren't even the northern lites ones). I even passed on the wiegela because I didn't recognize it as a hardy type. I bought a pachysandra terminalis groundcover which might make it. I did cave, however, on a plant called pieris japonica 'forest flame' despite the zone 5 rating on the tag. When I got home I researched on the internet, hoping I'd find at least one source saying zone 4, maybe zone 3? Nope. So, I have either purchased a dieback shrub or an expensive annual.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here