Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Korean Maple ?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
15 years ago

Varying results have been reported with this one, if you have it, how's it doing? I'm tempted by some tree form specimens offered at a local nursery.

Terry

Comments (13)

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Worth a try. I have one that's about 6 years old, perhaps six feet high. From what I read they can grow into small sized trees. Slow growing but nice form, mine is a multi-stemmed shrub shape at present.

Mine suffers from a bit of chlorosis (yellowing of the leaves from lack of iron on very clay soil). My Mom also has one that seems faster growing and more greenish leaves (better soil than me.)

As for winter hardiness, mine's pretty sheltered up against a fence to the east, a shed to the south, and a sheltered yard overall.

Leaves do resemble a Japanese type maple.

Glen

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for you input Glen. I have a very protected backyard and think I'll purchase a tree form specimen being offered by a local greenhouse. The leaves indeed have that Japanese maple look!

Terry

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Very nice small trees, and worth a try even in your area. Don't stop with just one if it doesn't make it. As with many species, hardiness can depend on seed source.

Quite susceptible to verticillium wilt, if you have it in your soils.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

I just like to ask,.. any of you growing maples, to see, when the tree is flowering, what kind of insects or bees
    are gathering around.
    Since I have some honey bees, I like to grow some maples what attract them.

Oh..by the way, I put a whole bunch of seeds [from a friend in Lethbridge] in the ground and a ton are sprouting
    up, some of them are dark leaf, .......very exiting! ....I can grow a maple forest soon!...LOL
    Will see, perhaps some of them should be hardy?
    And a ton of Apricot seed have sprouted!
    Konrad

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Konrad, I have a few maples that have flowered, though with being such a cool and varied spring, I had not noticed anything much regarding insects being attracted to them. I hope many of the seedlings now coming up for you will be hardy. I have "Prairie Splendor" Norway maple, a offspring of the well know "Crimson King" and one that was selected in Lethbridge, this tree has come through winter 100% even after min temps of -41 C ... so, indeed very hardy and also VERY attractive in the landscape!

Leftwood, I will take your advice and keep trying until I have a Korean maple that proves hardy for me. I really do have some good sheltered spots in my garden.

Terry

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Actually, in the six years I've had my Korean maple it's never flowered. I tried to research at what age they might begin to flower but couldn't find anything out. Maybe it's because mine's planted in too much shade?

Terry, I originally bought mine because I wanted a shrub for a shady spot. The nursery said that the Korean Maple can take full shade to sun. I have mine in a spot that receives maybe 4 hours of sun a day and it seems to do well, it's definitely doesn't look sparse or lanky. Actually, as it gets taller it is getting more sun as it's not as shaded by buildings.

As per the attached article, the plant can also have spectacular fall color, but not so much if it's planted in the shade. Last year, in the years I had my plant, was pretty good for fall color, though.

Glen

Here is a link that might be useful: article

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glen, it's good to know of your experience with the Korean maple and that it has proven hardy for you. I was checking the tree form specimens at the local nursery, though none of them had good shape and I've decided to instead opt for a shrub. Thanks for the link ... it says it's hardy to -43C.

Terry

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Terry, did you get one and how did it do for you?

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Thanks Terry, good luck,..looks like my post did "eventually"..got to the top, I'll delete the other one.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Konrad: if you are looking for a tree to attract bees, I suggest the Linden tree. I read in the COG newsletter that they attract bees and you get very good honey then. We've planted about 6 of them and I can vouch for the fact that when they flower they are covered with bees, more so than the maples we have. Marg

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Yes, thank you Marg,
    I must have a dozen or so Linden grown from seeds,..about 15 years old now and flowering, it's just I'm looking for more trees which flower at different times, Linden is late, around July, Maples are allot earlier, more like spring flowers, have several Amur Maples from seeds now flowering, also attracts allot of bees.

• pricklypoppy
    10 years ago

I have several Korean maple seedlings in my backyard. Seeds were from Gardens North. Very easy to germinate. It has been few years now but the seedlings are still less than one foot. No visible winter damages.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks