Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee for Evergreens and Roses?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 17:49

Sure is nice to see more posts here lately. I guess nobody wanted the forum renamed =:)

Does anyone ever give their evergreens and/or rose bushes their leftover coffee? There's lots of info for composting used coffee grounds, but what about brewed coffee?

Is there any benefit or any reason not, to water down leftover coffee and give the plants outside a coffee break?

I actually gave one of my indoor plants a drink yesterday. It's still alive =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee for Evergreens and Roses?

I've watered indoor plants with tea but never coffee. I can't see where it would hurt, though.

o

I had to smile at your coffee question. For years I kept my houseplants in my classroom alive watering them with coffee. The schoolboard had a rule against teachers drinking coffee with students present, so on my break I'd make the trek involving three flights of stairs and a connecting hallway to the part of the building that had water. I'd get coffee, then work at my desk until my class returned, set my coffee aside, and at my next break empty my now-cold half cup of coffee into a flowerpot. The plants thrived, so I quit carrying water seperately for them, and just "coffeed" them. I now habitually pour leftover coffee over any plant in sight...even the plants at roadside rests. :o)

o

My mom has an ivy that starts to die off if she doesn't feed it tea once a week or so. Now, they have a water softener in their house and she was told the tea helps keep the soils more acidic which is why plants like it... Not sure if that is right or not, but I have some plants that love coffee and some that don't. All my plants are in the house as we are in an apartment building. I am assuming that being in pots thy are more sensitive to the things you 'feed' them rather than ones planted directly in soils, like roses and shrubs :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here