Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Tree

Posted by beegood Zone 3 alberta (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 18:05

Has anyone ever tried the multiple grafted plum trees? I got one yesterday with 5 vaietys on it.Save me buying at least two for cross pollination. I'm hoping at least 2 or 3 will make it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Tree

You should be OK, make sure that you keep an eye on it and don't
let one overtake the other, pruning back the stronger one's.
Can you see the actual graft's? You should be able to.....allot
of time they say so but it's bogus. Who sells them...what are the verities?

I have one with about 7 graft's...but I have put them on later.

Photobucket

Konrad

o

Eagle Lake Nurseries in Alberta produces a combo plum that has Brookgold, Tecumseh, Opata and Brookred ( and maybe Pembina) on it. I assume they would have trialed these trees to make sure perform and pollinate as one would hope, but I can't say for sure.

o

Yes these are the varietys on my tree including the pembina.I bought it at Khulmans. Your tree sure looks good and productive Konrad. You certainly have a " Green Thumb "

o
RE: Saskatoon bush

Had to move a naturalized 3' saskatoon bush that is blooming. Should I be prunning back the blossoms?

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 alberta (My Page) on
    Sun, May 30, 10 at 12:22

Just checked the tree and there are definitely 5 grafts on it. A nice sturdy little tree.

o

This is great!...can you tell us the names and where it came from?

o

I want one too. What does it look like in flower? I would have to put it in my front yard to get enough light.

o

Sun, May 30, 10 at 13:46

The plums are Brookred, Pembina, Brookgold, Opata and Tecumseh. I got it at Kuhlmans but it was grown at Bylands in BC. By what I can see on their web site they are growing for all across Canada and all Zones.

o

That's good!...all hardy, since it hasn't grown here, it
will be the test this winter, what are the guaranties at
Kuhlmans?

Konrad

o

Sun, May 30, 10 at 20:50

It's a one year or 25% off. I took the 25% as it is is very unlikely for the whole tree to die. I'm sure most of them will be OK.Famous last words.

o

Well that's fair....lets hope it makes it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here