Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Vesey's Order Came - Snow Coming - Now What?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

My Vesey's order came =:)

We might get snow tonight, so I'm wondering.....

Should I leave the box closed and leave them outside in the garage?

Should I open them and leave them in the garage?

Or, should I bring them into the house and open them?

I think inside might be too warm. I ordered Glamini Gladiolas, Cote d'Azur Pinks and Strawberry plants.

Thanks girls/guys =:)

Comments (2)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

O.K. Sorry. I think I panicked when I heard the word snow. All the stuff I got from Vesey's is dormant, so of course I can open them and leave them in the garage. (Right?) But only for a few days.

Panic panic....

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed because I don't know any better, (this is my first mail order) or if I should be legitimately disappointed, or happy.

The Cote d'Azur Pinks have very teensey weensey little roots on them. The bit of soil in the bag is dry but there's a bit of condensation in the bag.

The Seascape strawberries have me confused. When I was young my parents had a big strawberry patch, so my plants from Vesey's took me by surprise. The roots are 4-5 inches and the crowns vary from the size of about a dime (3-4 of them) to a quarter for some and maybe barely a loonie for a few. bdgardener said hers from McFayden were 5-8 inches and the crowns were at least the size of a toonie. Are different varieties different sizes? I doubt it. Also, there's what look like bean sprouts on a few. I assume they're sprouting, but never saw them on my parents' plants. Oh, one more thing. There's some dry moss in the bag and a bit of dirt that's dry enough I got dust up my nose when I took the elastic off the bunch. Should they have been that dry? I put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom of the bag, as I'm pretty sure they should be moist.

Should I soak the roots of the strawberries tomorrow and plant them in pots? Since we're expecting snow, the soil in the garden certainly won't be very warm.

I've decided I'm disappointed. Should I be?

Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated =:)

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

I think I would do as you said, soak the strawberries and pot them up. Then you can plant them when the soil is warmer. I worked briefly in a nursery and remember the strawberry roots being potted up.
    I think I would pot up the pinks also.
    That's pretty well how I deal with mail order perennials I receive. They never arrive at the optimum time for planting. I've had success this way.
    Good luck