Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziggro

M360 Apple Tree

ziggro
10 years ago

Anyone know where I can buy one of these? I live in Montana.

Comments (17)

• intotheark
    10 years ago

i hope you can find one,
    these are my favorite apple

unfortunately i can't send you any scions,
    as these are considered 'live plant material',
    with all the restrictions that entails shipping across the border

• peeniwali
    10 years ago

Hi all,

I too am looking for some help in finding 1 year old whips of M360. I live in Calgary, AB and have talked with DNA Gardens but it seems they no longer carry this product.

If any of the regular folks here have suggestions I would love to hear it!

-Dave

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Scion wood exchange is coming at Devonian Garden in April, perhaps you can make it. I should have this one, got it from intotheark last year.

• peeniwali
    10 years ago

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for your suggestion of scion wood. I am brand new to this business of of apples in AB and looking for something I can simply put into the ground for an espaliered fence project.

I am still working on what varieties I may want to use and have noted that you have had a lot to say about this in previous posting. Looks like you have built up a lot of experience on the topic over the years.

I am currently considering M360 but expect I will not get it, Norkent, Norland, Prarie Magic are on my list. I like the taste of Honeycrisp but noted that it may not work out well in Calgary or at least have mixed opinions. I have room for 24 in my project(Belgian fence).

The closest I can find whips is out of Boughen Nurseries in Manitoba. No other places seem to offer 1 year olds. Do you know of anyone in AB who may sell whips?

Thanks,

Dave

• intotheark
    10 years ago

coaldale nurseries in lethbridge was the original alberta connection for the morden m-360 variety

try contacting them,
    they may help you in your search

they are a great apple all-round

• peeniwali
    10 years ago

intothedark: Thanks for the tip. I sent them an email and hopefully they will have some good news for me.

Cheers,

Dave

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Or...
    Scion wood exchange is on Saturday, April 19, 2014. 10:30 to 4:00 pm. at Devonian Garden, people from Calgary come often.

• peeniwali
    10 years ago

intothedark: I contacted Coaldale Nurseries in Coaldale, AB. They said they have a few trees in 5 gallon pots but for my project I will need whips. Oh well. I looked back at your comments and see you said Lethbridge. Is there a coaldale nursery there as well??

For those looking for this variety both DNA and Coaldale will not be restocking due to what I believe is lack of demand for this variety.

• peeniwali
    10 years ago

Konrad,

Thank you for your suggestion of going to the scion wood exchange. I think I am too inexperienced to pull off a graft but before rejecting the idea I will think about it for a bit.

I do think that popping into Edmonton that weekend would be a great excuse to get out of town for the day. Maybe I will see you there.

Dave

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

I think intothedark meant Coaldale.

Dave,..you're right, if the weather cooperates.

>>due to what I believe is lack of demand for this variety. Could be, ..more of a cooking apple, I'm just hoping it will be fine for juicing. My best cooking apple is Collet.

• intotheark
    10 years ago

yes that is the one in coaldale

i was just placing the general area in the province where the nursery was located

konrad,
    thanks for that info on collett,
    have you noticed any hardiness issues with it?

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

The Collet I have planted here in Beaumont in 1982. It's not a vigorous tree, it's a annual producer and pretty good in warding off apple maggot flies. We store apples till Christmas. The flavor/aroma is outstanding, flesh stay's white for a long time when cutting.
    Sometimes I see some little branches dieing back from winter kill but still have a good crop every year, it's self thinning.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Not sure what hardiness you're in but zone 3 here is borderline for Collet.

Collet

MRVS Boyle Nursery up far North stole my Collet picture from the fruit thread, showing off hes mature trees, perhaps not even Collet. When you have lots of mature trees and flowering, you would think that some apples would fruit for pictures. They're saying that Collet is zone 2, ...that's not true, it's zone 3 borderline.

The Sproutfarm in Bon Accord close to the city used to have Collet also but all died off, the owner told me this several years back and asked for some scion wood, she wanted to try again.

Here is a link that might be useful: MRVS Boyle Alberta Collet

• User
    10 years ago

Re: the scionwood exchange, I don't have anything to trade, but I'd love to try grafting some different varieties onto my yard crabs. Is there the opportunity to buy some?

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Yes, ..$2.00/stick.

• User
    10 years ago

Excellent news, thanks. I think I'll try to make the trip.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Just checked out Mr. V's website, not offering Collet anymore, perhaps never grew it,..just re-sale.

He took my picture down, saying, no reason to use it because they grow Collet for about 15 years, [the lady in charge did this].

I also remember showing the blooms and fall picture of the Collet as being the very same as the today's Battleford, Goodland, Norland, Odyssy, Prairie Magic and Sept. Ruby
    Check it out in link.
    LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Apples

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21