Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Victoria Day weekend update! :-)

ostrich
9 years ago

Well, this Victoria Day was supposed to be soggy and cool, but it turned out to be fairly mild and the rain was not too bad either! So I got a ton of work done in my yard.... and I was surprised to see how these lovelies are all showing up :-)

First up is one of my favourite perennials, my golden bleeding heart - this one shows up no matter how terrible the winter was and it just keeps getting bigger too! Love it:

Look at this Sambucus "Morden Golden Glow" - it just cannot wait to leaf out! Gorgeous early spring foliage, isn't it!? The one behind it is Sambucus "Black Lace" which is less hardy and takes its time to leaf out:

I planted 3 Brunnera Jack Frost last year and so far, only one is showing... sigh! I thought they were supposed to be hardy too, huh!?

OK, don't laugh at me for showing a few tulips - these are actually the first ever tulips that I have ever grown! I was previously in an open yard so Mr. and Mrs. Bambi visited often and as a result, I never planted tulips. Well, they are finally showing up! Oh, and behind the tulips are Hydrangea Vanilla Strawberry and Hydrangea Quick Fire - both are budding out too! Yippee!

Look at my Peony Karl Rosenfeld! They just look so strong and gorgeous! Then behind it are two of the three variegated iris that I planted last year - one just decided not to show its face now... sigh...

This Euphorbia First Blush is truly gorgeous! Love the colours:

Then there are the usual suspects which are showing up in full force, including a big clump of my trusty Catmint Walker's Low, geranium Rozanne, sage, artemisia, Jacob's Ladder etc. They are all looking healthy and lovely.

The trees are leafing out too - the Toba Hawthorn was the first to leaf out, now my apple tree (Norkent) is just leafing out too. The Showy Mountain Ash is just about to leaf out too.

The next few days will be quite warm here in Calgary - I am sure that by next weekend, it will look much more colourful and lush in my backyard! :-)

Enjoy the rest of your Victoria Day!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH