Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honey Locusts on the Prairies????

Posted by andres_zone3 (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 19:52

I found some reasonably priced Honey Locust at Rona the other day and I am wondering how these trees do in Edmonton and through out the prairies. Are they reliably hardy? I know the city has planted several locust trees throughout the city but none of these look like honey locust. Any thoughts..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honey Locusts on the Prairies????

That covers an awful lot of territory! The native range of G. Triacanthos extends only barely into southwestern Ontario, and I really don't think that you have any type of chance north of Highway 1 in Alberta (or Manitoba). You could try it in a sheltered spot, but I'd expect winterkill above the snow line every year. That being said, you may as well give it a shot if you want to experiment! And you never know -- you might pick a genetic oddity that has a higher tolerance for cold winters.

o

The two I would consider are the new cultivars out of the North Dakota Research Foundation.

Your options are:
Northern Acclaim Honeylocust, Gleditsia triacanthos "Harve" or Prairie Silk Honeylocust, Gleditsia triacanthos "Prairie Silk".

Do a plant search and go from there.

o

Edmonton has over 100 honeylocusts planted currently by the city over the past 5 years. Many of them are doing perfectly fine and have had no dieback. They are the "shademaster" variety. Don't be afraid to plant them. Greenland garden carries them.

The best spot to find them is just south of whyte avenue and north of 76ave between 104st and 109st. There are also many in Hawreluk Park now. Here is a picture from a couple years ago of some on a boulevard and they are still doing perfectly well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23840945@N05/3956567517/

o

Oiltown, I had a great tour of your flickr "unique tree" pics!

... do you have any update on how any of the magnolia, windmill palm, or sweet gum trees are doing since your pics of 3 or so years ago?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here