Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murillogirl

pavement roses

murillogirl
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have been trying to find some information about the history of pavement roses and have been coming up short. Does anyone have any info to share or perhaps suggestions as to where to find this info?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• shazam_z3
    16 years ago

Are roses in flower shops true teas?

If true tea roses are zone 7, then they should be borderline growable in the BC interior.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

No, most florist roses are hybrid teas. The Tea group is in general a very old and not overly commercial group. The majority of Tea hybridizing took place in the 1800s in France. The main ancestors of Teas were R. odorata (which was supposed to have smelled like fresh tea leaves) and R. chinensis. Neither is a hardy species. Hybrid teas were later creations and involved more complex crossing, with (relatively) hardier genetics, which makes us able to grow some of them in colder climates.

I suppose they could grow Teas in interior BC, also on parts of the Island where it is Zone 8.

• murillogirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Northspruce, that is exactly the info I was looking for....I am interested in the (complicated!) history of different roses. I am very attracted to these roses for a perennial bed for their size and ease of maintenence.

• shazam_z3
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. Now I have another reason to move out to the island. :)

• kristal
    16 years ago

Sounds like something I need.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Home Depot always has them around here. I think I've seen them at Walmart too. They're not hard to find.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

This is totally off-topic but if anyone's interested in looking at some tea roses, this beautiful post was on the Antique Roses Gallery...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ten Teas

• glen3a
    16 years ago

I do recall seeing pavement roses available locally (can't remember which place, it likely was home depot).

Anyways, all I really know about them is they are hardy and disease free, which is attributed to their rugosa heritage. I also read that the name 'pavement' isn't a very flattering name, but it apparently is in reference to the fact that they are usually shorter, compact, sprawling, tough roses that are suitable to growing alongside a path or sidewalk (pavement).

Glen

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Hi mirillogirl,

Pavement roses are terrific as far as health, hardiness, repeat and fragrance are concerned, but if you are planning to put them in a perennial border, think carefully. I have 2 left (gave some away for lack of space), a rotesmeer and snow pavement. They sucker quite a bit, as do most rugosas, and you will no doubt have your work cut out for you trying to keep them under control. Maybe you could try grafted plants to minimize the spreading. Mine are ownroot.
    Judith

• blackgavotte
    11 years ago

does anyone know of a pavement rose which has a more double flower? I will need to use these in my new home in Nova Scotia, as a windbreak so I can eventually grow my favourite roses, the Austins. The larger they can grow, the better I will like them, I did grow Snow Pavement 5 years ago and it definitely reached over 3' high in the Fraser Canyon of B.C. for me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• rosecavalier
    11 years ago

On the prairie here, I don't immediately think of roses being a windbreak...found that quite humorous blackgavotte...but this is Alberta, not Nova Scotia.
    But if you want a tall rugosa with splendid qualities, try Wild Edric...a newer introduction...hardy to my zone...and an Austin to boot. It does get large, throwing 5ft canes at random. I find it repeats better than most rugosas and I think Hortico still sells them but you may have to wait a year or two to get a large order filled.

In this photo, Hansa is on the left...Wild Edric on the right...both very fragrant...Wild Edric being a higher centered flower form in the early stages.

Good luck with your new home!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH