Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

My Marigolds Embarrass Me

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

O.K. all you experienced gardeners........don't laugh too hard....I can't grow marigolds worth a hoot ! I'd really like more of them this year to control aphids, but they always end up looking bad. (They do deter aphids, right?) My raised flower bed last year included lavatera, dianthus, alyssum, gallardia, african daisy, verbena, lantana, etc., etc., and they all did beautifully. The marigolds were terrible, as usual. What the heck might I be doing wrong? Do they know I disliked them when I was young? My mother could even grow them back then, and she doesn't have any interest in gardening at all. If I didn't look like her I'd think I was adopted, ha, ha !

Any thoughts?

Comments (27)

• lilies_and_roses
    14 years ago

I agree with Glen about the possibility of over fertilizing... I've always heard that marigolds grow well in poor soil. They can tolerate short dry spells but generally don't like to dry out too much. Pinching them can create bushier plants improving the overall appearance of them. They also like full sun, are they being shaded by other annuals?

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, I think you guys may be right. =:) My soil is so bad that I use all Pro-Mix in my raised bed, so maybe the marigolds do get too much fertilizer. I never thought about them being shaded by the other plants. They probably were a bit. I'll try putting them around the perimeter to see if that helps. Maybe I'll also try some in some poor soil to see if I can grow them any better there =:) Thanks !

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Are you starting your own plants or purchasing them? I had trouble with mine this spring, I guess the potting soil was bad and I had not fertilized enough. I transplanted them and have been giving more fertilizer and they've much improved.

Marigolds do LIKE having their roots in good soil, I have loose friable soil amended with peat moss, they love it! ... they also appreciate being fertilized and receiving lots of sun!

{{gwi:25646}}

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Please don't feel bad. My neighbour has had trouble growing marigolds too and she has been gardening for at least 50 years!
    I agree with Terry. I have been growing marigolds of all kinds for years. I can't not grow them. I start almost all of my marigolds from seed and they bloom well into October here in Edmonton. I water them the minute they are dry, fertilize with general fertilizer once they are established in their bed and deadhead as the blooms fade. I grow them all over the yard and especially with my tomatoes and in the vegie garden. My dad always had problems with potato bugs until I started planting marigolds in his garden. No more bugs! And no issues with any other vegies either.
    I always disliked them as a kid too but my mom planted them every year. I think she could only grow marigolds and nasturtium! I have really grown to like them since I have grown so many different kinds now and even white ones! I used a little reverse psychology with challenging myself to grow them in the beginning. I told them what beautiful healthy little soldiers they were and that they had a big job in the garden. Since then I have not been disappointed.
    They definately do like the sun. I think they came from Mexico originally. And good soil. Maybe add peat moss. Acidity?? Good luck.

Ginny

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I don't know why you can't grow marigolds from seed. I've never had a problem with them and I grow them every year.

The only thing I think wouldn't cause them not to sprout is lack of heat. They were originally an African plant and they like heat.

I have one spot in my beds that is hot and consequently dry and I put marigolds in it every year. There are so many varieties now, the large flowered ones right down to the 10 inch ones. I have to keep it wet until they are established and then they don't mind going dry occasionally. They give me flowers until the frost takes them. Except for the musky smell I don't know why anyone wouldn't like them.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Though they do deter bugs I don't think they do that with aphids. Use insecticidal soap on the aphids--works every time

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

"I can't not grow them" ... Ginny, I feel the same way. If I were to be forced to select only one type of annual, this would probably be it. Marigolds really give you alot of bang for your buck!

Terry

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG ! Now my marigolds REALLY embarrass me.....

Sounds like most of you grow beautiful ones from seed. I buy mine already up and running from the greenhouse and they still don't do well. Hilarious! Unbelievably hilarious =:)

Too late for seeds now, right?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

I'd say it's getting rather late for seeds. When selecting plants at the greenhouse, be sure to get only young vigorous plants that are just budding up or coming into flower ... don't bother with big established plants that have already spent their time and energy flowering away in a little six pack, these generally don't do much of anything when set out.

Terry

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Do you loosen the roots when you set them out. Marigolds have a big root system and they can get pot bound very easily. Squeeze the rootball and untangle the roots. If you don't they will stay in that little ball and not do well.

14 years ago

Terry- I don't mean they are my favorite flower, just that they self seed all over, are incredibly easy to grow and I grow them mostly for their protective qualities. Of course they are beautiful when they bloom like crazy, especially in the late summer and early fall. The large ones look wonderful in a bouguet with ornamental sunflowers. I grow Cracker Jack, Kilimanjaro ??White, Jubilee, and other tall ones for this purpose. Favorite marigold is without a doubt, the Bolero line. Favorite annual is by far snapdragons.

As for seeds, I have started mine this late before and they have still bloomed like crazy. Can't hurt to try them from seed for the first time! You never know until you try.

Ginny

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

I guess I was guilty of being a marigold snob. I just didn't like them. But then one year I had to grow a flat of them for one of our horticultural planting areas. When it was time to hand them over for planting, I had a hard time surrendering them. They were so cute. I think they were the easiest seedlings I ever grew.

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

I don't have any more Marigold tips, but I just wanted to pipe up and mention that I used to hate marigolds too! I thought they were so boring and gaudy. But I've since seen them landscaped beatifully into gardens where they look just like little mums! Plus they are just so darn hardworking. I love all the shades that they come in.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

I love them, except for the smell.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I haven't grown them for a few years but I used to just rake in some seeds in the fall or early spring and I could barely control them. They have a distinctive seedling so it's easy to avoid weeding them. As mentioned, they do make a big root system and like heat and sun. The best variety I ever grew was called "Juliet".

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

EVERY MARIGOLD WILL DO WELL--BIG OR SMALL-- IF YOU UNTANGLE THE ROOT BALL. Because even the smallest marigold has a big root system, a root that is put in right from the pack will stay in that tight little ball unless you untangle them. The marigold will not branch out much and you won't have many flowers

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

That's a very good point, Oilpainter. Many nurseries use those individual cell pack containers that allow the roots to grow into a ball. I've found it difficult to convince people that it's important to loosen the root system when transplanting.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

That would also explain why my direct sowing produces good results!

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Yes North53--- they think they have to be very careful with the roots but if the roots have started to go round and round they will contimue to do so after it is put in the soil. Even if you break the odd one it is better than leaving them in a ball. The best thing you can do for any plant annual or perennial is to gently loosen the roots before you plant. Anyone who doesn't believe this try an experament this fall pull a plant who's root you haven't loosened. I guarantee it will still be in a ball.

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

I learned about this when I was transplanting at a nursery. I was transplanting wave petunia plugs, those tiny things about the size of your little finger, and I was told I had to unwind the root or it was just sit there and do nothing. It was a useful lesson.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to be very careful planting my marigolds tomorrow. After all these tips, they've got to do better this year!

Maybe I should smile at them every day too =:)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O.K. I planted my marigolds today.

I spread out the roots like crazy, told them how beautiful they were going to be, and gave them all a nice big smile.......

That should do it !!

I'll let you all know in a few months whether or not I can grow marigolds =:)

14 years ago

Yaaayyyy!! They will reward you all summer!

Just a note- I start my seeds in peat pellets in a regular flat or in top soil/peat mix in the flat itself. When I plant them out they have almost formed a mat that I just pull apart the plugs or the soil if sewn in a flat. That way I never have to worry about the roots getting balled up.
    I'll post pics when I can.

Good luck. :)

Ginny

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought I'd let everyone know that I had beauiful marigolds last year. All that abuse to the roots paid off. I've always known to untangle roots, but with the marigolds I practically killed them and they thrived.

Actually, they did so well, that this year I planted from seed in the house, and so far they're beautiful. I have really nice healthy looking plants that I'm hardening off as I write =:)

• daba14
    8 years ago

I never had much luck with marigolds until this year 2015...others just dried up in Sept.

but i have one a (late bloomer) in August that is still blooming after almost 4 months outside on my balcony .I put a glass jar over it.... and water it once every 2 weeks now it is still healthy looking....wonder why???? Im in Toronto Canada....

• daba14
    8 years ago

same flower in mid November 2015

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville