Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, questions by the many.

Posted by Suzy_H 2 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 20:53

So my ordered trees and such are arriving and we still have snow on the ground, though its almost gone, but clay soil so it's very wet.
I got some comfrey, Jerusalem artichoke, horse radish and Egyptian onions.
Can I store them in my crisper until ready to plant? Do I need to go out and plant them? Store them moist or dry? The Egyptian onions showed up with dry roots, should I soak them?
I got some nanking cherry barefoot seedlings too. Trying. To decide where to put them. I have an acreage so enough space but lots of wind. Can I put these on the very west side of my garden to help shield my garden from the wind one they get bigger (i read they are wind tolerant). Any downsides to doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, questions by the many.

Not sure about the rest but Nanking Cherries aren't too picky about location. They aren't a fantastic windbreak though, they're a pretty open shrub. But it wouldn't do any harm.

o
RE: Help, questions by the many.

My advice to you about the horseradish...

Put the horseradish anywhere else but in your yard.

It will never be able to be killed. It will spread. Not even roundup will kill it. Save yourself frustration and time by simply buying horseradish in the store as you need it.

BTW, it isn't a nice looking plant and flea beetles love it, so later in the season you have very holy leaves!

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here