Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysuckle vine - how much sun?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 21:02

Well-meaning DH bought me a honeysuckle vine (Dropmore Scarlet I believe) and a clematis for Mother's Day and I didn't really have anywhere to put them. I found a place for the clematis but the honeysuckle is still in its pot. Has anyone ever grown one in half shade? It would get dappled to direct sun on and off until about noon or 1 pm, then the sun goes around the corner of the house for the rest of the day. Would this be enough? Or should I just give it away to someone who has a spot for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysuckle vine - how much sun?

I have mine in a similar situation. It faces east so gets lots of morning sun, but in the afternoon is totally shaded by a tree. It grows and blooms okay, but I'm almost to the point of pulling it out due to the losing battle I have with the aphids on it. I've wondered is the lower light situation is stressing the plant and making it more susceptible to the problem. But I'm just guessing.

o

My honeysuckle was in mostly shade and it flowered fine. I never saw any aphids on it. The problem with mine was winterkill. And last summer it had so much winterkill that DH shovel pruned it. It had been in my garden for hmmm 8 to 10 years though.

Sierra

o

Ok thanks for the input... I think I'm going to go for it. It can only die, right? Then DH will learn to buy me non-climbers in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here