Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato and Raspberry...viruses or blights

Posted by northernmn 3/4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 21:06

I finally had to fence in my fruit garden to keep the deer from chewing up everything. I oversized the fenced in area so that I could gradually add some vegie garden space inside of the fence as well. I am wondering if I plant tomatoes in the same area as the raspberries.... will I be putting the raspberries at a higher risk of getting diseases that the tomatoes were a vector for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato and Raspberry...viruses or blights

From what I've read, you shouldn't plant tomatoes near raspberries..I think disease that is common in tomato can spread to raspberries. It sounds like in general raspberries should be planted apart from veggies. I'm not sure about distance, though.

We have a large-ish area fenced off in our yard against deer also. Both the raspberries and the veggies are within the fence, but they are a ways apart. Probably 50 ft. You could plant them as far from each other as possible and hope for the best.

However, it does sound like the biggest issue is just to make sure you don't plant raspberries where tomatoes (and a few other plants) have been planted previously, so maybe a nearby but separate planting is no big deal.

o

Thank you weeper. I was afraid that might be the answer. I did know that they should never share soil where the other has been grown.

Peppers are in the same family as tomatoes, but my peppers seem to always stay disease free. Maybe I'll plant them in that spot instead of the tomatoes.

o

I had never heard about that. For years I had them growing side by side. Then one year I pulled out the raspberries because they were infected with something.
So now my question is...are there other combos to absolutely avoid? Keep in mind that I have a very small yard, so some things are unavoidable.

o

Potatoes and raspberries are another combination no-no.

o

The ones I've heard of are: don't plant raspberries by tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant or peppers. It's probably OK most of the time..until you have problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here