Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose ID, please!

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 21:07

A friend has given me some suckers from her rose, a hardy shrub rose (not Hansa). This is a picture of it in full bloom. Does anyone know what it might be?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose ID, please!

Therese Bugnet

o

First one that came to mind is Therese Bugnet. Then I read the next entry. :) She is a very hardy gal who loves to bloom.....tall. :)

Ginny

o

I concur. It has a classic vase shape.

o

Thanks!

o

This is the thread i was looking for when i came across the one about the cesanthes (or however that's spelled). This person donated several of these roses for Horticulture's plant sale and we sold most of them. I had a couple left and planted one for myself, and eventually sank the other one into the ground in its pot for the winter.

Yesterday a woman in our community who was named Theresa died. Her granddaughter goes to our school and she loves to garden. In the spring, i'll lift the rose and give it to her so that she can plant it in memory of her grandma. :)

o

From what I can see, the leaves in the centre bottom have a glossy sheen to them and the heavy suckering makes me believe this rose to be Metis

Metis & ASP

The photo shows Metis on left..of which Therese Bugnet is the pollen parent

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF Metis link

o

I agree with rosecavalier, I believe your rose to be 'Metis'.

o

It was already identified as Therese Bugnet because of the vase shape. I hope that's what it is because i already told the girl about it.

o

Marcia, 'Metis' is a offspring of 'Therese Bugnet', thus they do share similarities. Seen in your photo is the typical numerous suckering of 'Metis' and also the nice shiny foliage ... 'Therese Bugnet' has lighter colored matt green foliage.

I hope this helps?

o

I read that about M�tis, that it came from Therese Bugnet. I've already told the girl about the rose, so it's going to stay as Therese Bugnet for now, and hopefully she won't grow up to become a rose expert and find out different!

The fact that it's called M�tis is interesting. My friend's mother-in-law had planted it many years ago and she was married to a M�tis guy. Wonder if there was a connection? :)

(apparently this doesn't like accents!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here