Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Bandwagon

Posted by TwylaG none (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 21:08

I thought I would jump on the plum bandwagon by asking which kind of plum you would prefer to grow and why: asian plums or hybrid plums?
(I have an ulterior motive in that I want to add two more plums to my yard and don't know which way I should lean.)
On the upside all of my fruit trees made it through the winter. The pear even started blooming for the first time today even though one apple is barely budding out leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Bandwagon

If you fill in your hardiness zone in main page we can all answer you more precisely in what to add to your plums you already have when you give us the name/s.

o

Oh sorry I thought I had done that right in my profile. Its 2a to 2b

o

Twyla- no expert here in fact just a newb to the north as far as fruit trees go but last year I planted a Pipestone plum and it made the winter. Recently I found out it needed a pollinator so planted a Toka (been in the ground 3 days) so hears hoping. I just wanted my yard to produce and the abundance of quack grass made a regular garden impossible so I started to make the switch to trees.

o

Bought a Fofonoff(Homesteader) and Ikanova from Little Tree Nursery today (hopefully my co-worker is able to pick them up). Has anyone had eny experience with Little Tree or these two?

o

My Ivanofka is growing well. Lots of roots. It is still too small to fruit though so I cannot comment further. Fruit size is about 3cm aoording to the U of S site.

"This cultivar bears fruit 3 cms in diameter dark red/purple in colour (with bloom). It has a milder flavour and firmer flesh than the above. However it is not quite as winter-hardy. Either Ptitsin #5 or Ptitsin #3 is a good pollinizer for it."

I have not purchased plums from Little Tree nursery. I can say they are hands down my favourite nursery for information. If I was closer I'd go more often. Very good people to talk too. You won't go wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here