Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daylily Do's & Don'ts

Posted by i_heart_flowers 2b MB (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 21:26

I received my FH order today. Everthing looks wonderful but I'm not sure what I should do. Should they be planted out right away? Need a little guidance here - don't want to blow my chances of a beautiful display! Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daylily Do's & Don'ts

You can pot them up until you're ready to plant them outside. And they can be outside now too - mine are.

o

Soak the roots in the sink overnight, not the tops though. When you plant your daylily, make a cone of dirt in the bottom of the hole. Spread the roots out over the cone, and back fill with soil. Make sure that the crown (where the roots join the top) is just at the soil surface. Daylilies don't bloom well if planted too deep. Tamp down well and keep them well watered for the first season. Mulch around the plant will help with moisture and weeds out.

What did you order?

Sharon

o

Barbara Mitchell
Elegant Candy
Marcia Fay
Miss Jessie
My Belle
Pookie Bear
Ruffled Ruby
Siloam Penny
Siloam Sugar Time - didn't order this one, came at no charge :)

I check them all - a couple actually have two separate plants - and all have nice looking roots.

Thanks for the tips! Time to get planting! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here