Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Blood Meal vs. Rabbits

northspruce
16 years ago

I officially have rabbit problems. First, the tops and buds of all my tulips disappeared... now, my lilies are being nibbled. This means war. The stupid thing lives in my hedge and actually lets me walk within 5 feet of it... I should just get out a baseball bat and have it over with (oh sorry was that out loud).

But rather than doing Benjamin Bunny in, I bought a bag of blood meal hoping it will repel him from my lilies. Has anyone found blood meal useful vs. bunnies, and how much and for how long do I need to use it? Do I need to put more out when it rains? Is it ok to just make a ring around the lilies? I know from experience that once the lilies are about 1' tall the rabbits aren't bothered with them anymore, I just DO NOT want to lose a year's worth of lilies!

Comments (9)

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I tried the bloodmeal a few years ago. Darn rabbits seem to be immune to it! Now I've got myself a dog. Lately, we bought a farm and the rabbit population there is bigger than it is here in town. Now I have 2 dogs -Aussies- who have a fine time chasing and catching the rabbits. If you can, get a dog or even a cat. A cat won't ruin your hedge the way a dog could. Good luck! Marg

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! I have two cats and four dogs. Problem is, my yard is big and open and the dogs have the back of the yard fenced off and can't get to the rabbits in the front. The cats are indoor cats. I don't live in the kind of place I can let my pets roam. Thanks for the suggestion though. The neighbour had a nice little cat that used to come around but he got run over a couple of weeks ago :0(

Well I guess I will see if the bloodmeal works, and if not I will get rid of the rabbit before it turns into 48 rabbits.

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Since I'm not a big fan of killing or hurting anything, I googled live trapping of rabbits to see if that is an option and it looks like it is. There's some other ideas and links to ideas on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: rabbit control

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

The bloodmeal is just supposed to repel them. You do have to keep reapplying it after rain. It worked for me when I had the rabbit in my yard. I suggested it to a fellow gardener and he also had success with it. Maybe it wouldn't be effective where there's a large population. In my case the dog was useless as the rabbit was able to outsmart her. Good luck with your bunny.

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

I came across this thread on the Woodland Gardening forum and thought of your little friend, Gil. I figured after raising those pups this rabbit control method would be a cinch. LOL! It seemed practical anyways :^).

Here is a link that might be useful: Practical Rabbit Control

• bev_nunes
    13 years ago

My dog just killed a very young bunny in my yard so having a dog won't solve my problem. The amount they eat of my garden isn't nearly as problematic as the zeal my dog has of finding them. I just want to keep them out and don't know how. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....do the various urines referenced work? I'll gladly invest in them to avoid what I just went through with having to pick up an almost dead bunny!

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

I was wondering what chewed off some of my lilies about 4" off the ground and ate the tops. IT WAS THAT WASCELLY WABBIT!! I live in the country but haven't seen one in ages.My dogs are Shih Tzus and not exactly killers plus they are inside at night. Maybe I will have to sit on the front steps with a gun all nite. But really no worse than the deer nibbling the fresh growth on some of my trees. Oh well still beats living in town.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Also try plating narcissus, they hate the things.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH