Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Should my Schubert Chokecherry have leafed out by now?

ostrich
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is my first spring in my new home in Calgary (previously a zone 5 gardener!), so I am hoping that you can help me out with some gardening tips!

My neighbourhood is a new development on the west side of Calgary. The developer requires that all the trees in the front yard on my street to be a Schubert Chokecherry. Mine was planted last September, and there were some others that were planted a few months before mine, and some were planted as late as last October/November.

Even though my Schubert Chokecherry is full of buds, it still has not leafed out. Many of my neighbours' Chokecherry are in the same state, but then some others are already leafing out beautifully on the same street.

One landscaper commented that my tree "looked dead"!!! I almost fell off my chair when he said that! Then he checked it and found that it's still green under the bark, and it is full of buds. But he then said, "sometimes they look like this but they will not grow any more" (i.e. DEAD!!!).

It's the end of May already and my Schubert Chokecherry is still not leafing out at all. Is this normal? Does Schubert Chokecherry tend to leaf out later in spring? Or does it leaf out early in spring?

Please help! Thank you in advance.

Comments (23)

• don555
    11 years ago

Normally they are one of the first trees to leaf out. It should be flowering by now (if it's old enough for flowers). Could be something weird going on to make it exceptionally slow, but it certainly doesn't sound good.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, don555!

Since it was just planted last September, does it make it slower to leaf out? The tree itself is quite a good size.... I really hope that there is nothing wrong here!

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

My opinion may go against the grain here but I'll comment anyway =:)

But first, to answer your question. I'm with Don. It certainly doesn't sound good. My Schuberts have been blooming for about a week.

Now my opinion for what it's worth. Your developer doesn't know his trees. How many are planted in a row? Does he know that they'll get black knot? Correct me if Calgary for some reason doesn't get black knot. Sorry for the rant. I have seen many rows of Schuberts in various areas, and they almost all have black knot. It's just a matter of time before it spreads. There are so many better trees your developer could have chosen.

On a more positive note, I hope you're enjoying your transition from Zone 5 to Zone 3 gardening. It can be done and there's lots of knowledgeable people here who can help you with your gardening adventures =:)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Ostrich, I suspect due to the large size of the tree it had been freshly dug back in September and the root disturbance could be resulting in the slow spring start. Unlike warmer zones, autumn digging and transplanting trees does not usually yield good results, as there's insufficient time for the establishment of new feeder roots ... so, spring being highly preferred! On the other hand, potted specimens with roots entirely intact can be safely planted late into the autumn. Your tree very well may be fine, though might be pokey in its first year.

Terrance

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, nutsaboutflowers!

I agree with you - the developer here does not know about trees!!! I would not have chosen Schubert Chokecherry myself, but then this is mandatory in my community!!! Sigh... basically, every single house on my street has a Schubert Chokecherry in the front lawn, so there are many, many planted at the same time.

That's why I am curious as to why so many are not leafing out right now. Did the developer's landscaper just do a bad job planting them, or could they really be leafing out later than usual because they were planted later in the season last year?

I am certainly willing to learn about zone 3 landscaping! There is a ton to learn about, especially about HOW I can grow roses here!!! Oh well.... :-)

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Terrance! I certainly hope this is the case of just a slow start... if it is not, I guess it is under warranty and that developer's landscaper will need to replace it then! I still hope that it is not the case though. We shall see, I guess! Thanks again.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I agree with NAF that it's very disappointing they would plant something that gets black knot. There's a lot of it around here and it is very ugly looking especially in the winter.

I'm going to guess that your tree is dead. I planted a weeping birch from Superstore several years ago. It looked healthy but it was a large tree in a small pot and it got halfway leafed out and died. Hope I'm wrong but that was my experience.

• shazam_z3
    11 years ago

Wait a couple more weeks. There's a few Schuberts at the local YMCA and they just opened their leaves.

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

This thread is bringing out the brat in me, LOL!

Are you in a condo development where you are required to do as the developer mandates forever? Or, can you plant a different tree and/or trees close to the Schubert, wait 2 years or however long the developer has a hold on you, and then, if the Schubert didn't die, get rid of it and voila, you already have established trees.

That's what I'd do. I'm part rebel =:)

• shazam_z3
    11 years ago

If it's dead then the developer should replace it, as the tree should still be under warranty. There is a bylaw in Calgary that requires developers to plant a certain # of trees per feet of frontage.

You may not like the tree, but consider that it's a large caliper tree they're providing you, and those things are very expensive (a few hundred dollars) and very expensive to deliver and plant.

Note that the developer might not have had a choice on the tree last year, because depending on the harvest only certain trees are available. When I bought my new house way back the only choices I had were 'Patmore' Green Ash and Colorado Spruce just due to availability. So if this tree dies you might have more choice now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyhow here's an article about black knot in Calgary.

• intotheark
    11 years ago

that is sad they don't allow for more diversity of plants

usually they say to prune back branches to match the rootball when transplanting
    this keeps a balance between the food stored in the woody tissue and roots and leaves/new growth
    it also allows for more root development of the fine feeder roots

if your plant when in the early fall, then there would have been little top growth (simply due to temp),
    and more root development as the fall was warm,
    and the ground stayed at a good temp well into nov.

but then there was that brutal and quick cold snap with very little snow cover,
    which may have hit anything in the canopy that did not have a chance to harden off
    that may have also done some damage to the roots
    especially if the planters were a bit nonchalant and didn't remove all the air voids in and around the roots

wait and see, but like others have said it should have at least begun to leaf out

i do like them as trees, and the fruit makes excellent syrup
    but black knot can result in some harsh, unsightly pruning

not only a zone change for you,
    but also 'snow-eaters' aka chinooks

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

Hold on, hold on, I'm just outside Calgary and my schubert's just got leaf in the last three days and they have been in for twenty years. Don't panic yet, but I would go after the developer if it is dead. Cheryl

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Right,..I think some of the Schubert's are not all the same, if from seedlings.
    Tree plantings in the fall in our climate is not good! We get cold so fast that the tree has no chance to grow roots, spring planting is allot better.
    There is really not a benefit putting a tree this late in the season, the tree just sits and wait for spring anyway, ..more harm then good.
    With any luck the tree can still push buds, if not, you get a new one. I'll give it another 2 weeks or so, the tree will have a delay in growth, due to the late planting in fall.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I really didn't have much say in WHEN and WHY the tree was planted. It's all beyond my control, so I just need to deal with this Schubert Chokecherry now!

Nutsaboutflowers, I am not in a condo development. It's a subdivision with single family homes. I like how you think outside the box! LOL! I guess I will just give the tree a couple more weeks, as you all suggested. Then if it leaves out, great - but if it doesn't, I will just have to ask for a replacement then.... sigh...

Thank you again!

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

I do understand Ostrich, I really wrote this for all tree & shrub planters out there,.. they could be saving allot of money!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update for everyone.... finally, there is some positive sign on my Schubert Chokecherry! Some of the buds are now finally showing some green... hopefully, they will leaf out within the next few days. I will continue to keep my fingers and toes crossed...

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Hey great,..a sign of life, looks promising!

• don555
    11 years ago

Yes, that looks quite healthy, just really, really late!

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

Maybe it's a male tree and just wants to take his sweet time. j/k!

In my area, green ash are the common tree. I hate the seed pods that gets dispersed every Fall; they get in the cracks of the concrete and in the lawn. My neighbour had an unfortunate "accident" with her green ash and was nice enough to plant something else in its place. A much nicer specimen tree...wished I would have thought of it too. What would happen if you planted something different? Would there be a fine? Would they demand that you tear it out?

My next door neighbour has a Schubert Chokecherry with an advanced case of black knot. Too bad they are too clueless to do something about it.

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

Your buds look healthy but holy cow it's late. Mine have already leafed out, bloomed, and are turning color.

It may be the picture, but how far away from your front entrance is your tree?

From the angle of the picture, it appears that within about 5 years that tree is going to be partially blocking the entrance to your house. They grow pretty fast.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Yes, I am feeling better now that I see some "green"! However, not all the buds are showing green yet! Sigh.... at least my tree is actually showing more "green" than my neighbours', which were planted even later than mine last fall! Ouch...

nutsaboutflowers, don't worry, it's just the way the photo was taken. The tree positioning is good - even though I could not pick the tree, I could tell them WHERE to plant it last year! Oh yeah, they tried to plant it way too close to the house so I told them "NO" and I got my way... hee!

If I took the tree out, I think I will be in trouble with the developer! But I guess I wouldn't know what might happen until I try.... hmm... maybe not! LOL

• bemidjigreen
    11 years ago

just my 2 cents, a bit late to the discussion. I would get rid of that tree even if it is still alive. I inherited one with my home and over the last 10 years it looks worse and worse due to black gall. That variety always gets black gall and you will eventually have to take it down anyway. Why waste 20 years and have to replace it. Plant a resistant variety and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

• tamatik
    11 years ago

hope this isnt a dbl post.. comp just went weird..again..

I,m looking for shubert chokecherry seeds.. cant find them.. also siberian dogwood..

thanx

ontario