Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

To trash or not to trash!?

ostrich
10 years ago

I have a dilemma with these "hardy" rhodies that I planted last year. None of them is really dead, but then they are only just now starting to show a couple of tiny little buds. Never mind those flower buds from last year - of course they are all dried up now. These are even in a protected east facing location.

Life is too short - should I really give these rhodies a chance, or just pull them out now and plant something hardier and less maintenance?! What do you say???

Comments (11)

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

If it were me, I would give them more time. Since they were just planted last year they are still settling in. My hydrangea are also only just now starting to show leaves as are my ninebark. It's a late season.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

My ninebarks are very slow too this year, and the euonymous has leaves on only one branch. As for the Purple-Leaf Sandcherry that i've been threatening to get rid of for years - i think it's toast!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, pudge and marcia! I must say that even though this spring came late, the rest of my shrubs and perennials are already doing quite well, even the rather tender for Calgary Sambucus Blacklace and Cotinus Golden Spirit has already leafed out quite a bit! That's why it's just rather frustrating that these rhodies are really taking their time.

I scratched on the bark of their branches yesterday and found that many of the branches appeared to be brown and dead. So I am just nervous that these guys are "half dead" but budding out somewhat now, so it's just a rather difficult decision. On the one hand, I want to give them time, but I also don't want to waste too much time when our growing season is so short....

Thanks again for your input!

10 years ago

I was pruning roses today and realized that a lot of them haven't budded out yet. I guess it's been just too cold and wet. And the PLSC is starting to leaf out below the snow line. Darn thing lives another year!

I think, like Pudge, i'd give them a bit more of a chance, considering the lateness of things this year. I've been giving that PLSC a chance for quite a few years now! LOL

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

The front yard Mayday tree has been very slow to come out this year. It's finally budding out. I thought it was dead. Would've cost me an arm and a leg to replace.

My Rhodo didn't make it either.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marcia, what is PLSC please?

shazam, I am sorry to hear that.... even though this past winter was not that cold, it certainly was a bit harsh to our dear plants! LOL!

I am going to give one (or two) of my rhodies a chance.... but for at least one of them.... I am so bad.... I just found a Limeglow juniper that would look fabulous there so I am going to replace it!!! Sorry, rhodie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 years ago

Purple Leaf Sand Cherry. :)

• TanlineTracey
    10 years ago

I've been wondering if anyone in alberta has Rodies that actually do well? I lost mine in its second yr. haven't seen any in our northern town live through a winter

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

I've never seen one alive here.

Amazing since if you to go to Revelstoke they grow like weeds there.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL marcia - sorry, I had a brain dead moment.... LOL!

Now you guys have pretty much convinced me that I have got to trash at least a couple of my rhodies! Sigh...........

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

At the Devonian Gardens (Devon, Alberta) are many established PJM rhododendrons planted in a somewhat sheltered location with north exposure. I don't know how they had fared this past winter, but most were looking rather very good last summer. I've heard of folks in Edmonton having success with some of the large leafed types, though these are usually given a form of protection and or kept covered over with snow. I think that Calgary's climate would prove a greater challenge and I believe you had done the correct thing by giving up on them. I personally do not have any rhododendrons, though my choice would be PJM.

Terrance

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH