Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsalvo

Hardiness question:Heuchera,Muscari

johnsalvo
14 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if any of the heucheras have survived in zone 3? The darker foliage colors, the purples,blues and blacks? Also are Muscaris hardy in 3? I am getting mixed results for the same plants from the various nurseries. Any help would be great.

Comments (5)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

I planted three heucheras last summer, two dark blackish and one peach colored. I can't recall the names at this moment but all three made it through the winter very healthy and full. Never grew one till now and I plan to plant more. I am in Edmonton zone 3a and the plants are close to an east fence. Lots of snow cover and mostly full sun exposure.

Ginny

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Hi:
    I have coral bells that I had given to me many years ago by another gardener. They are an old variety with green foliage and pink flowers. I love this plant It thrives in full sun as wrll as shade.

That's why I bought a couple of the newer varieties with the colored leaves. The burgandy leaved white flowered ones lasted through one winter and the gold-orange leaved one didn't make it through the first winter.

I would have to say that the older varieties are much hardier than any of the new ones

• mytime
    14 years ago

Last year I needed a lot of plants to fill in a new garden, and Home Depot carried many varieties of heuchera...so I bought at least one of each variety they had. Results have been variable, but it is still too early to give up on any plant here. We had a lousy winter...all the snow melted the day after Christmas, and then before we got any more, it got cold and stayed cold. Any plant that survived in my garden this last winter is plenty hardy. All the varieties I bought were purple-leaved except for one caramel-colored one (I don't remember the name of that one right now, but it survived).

• johnsalvo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much everybody, that helped a great deal! I was pretty sure they were probably hardy enough but I hate to buy them and kill them. Thanks again.

• jetred
    14 years ago

I have had luck with some Heuchera, and others not. I think location is also important.