Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilies_and_roses

Frost Warning

lilies_and_roses
14 years ago

We have a frost warning in effect for tonight... do I need to cover the rose, azalea, and weigela shrubs that we've just planted this week? Unlike the established shubs in our garden they are fully leafed out and soom are starting to bloom. They were all hardened off and have been in the ground now for a week or so and have experienced some chilly night temps, but tonight is going down to minus 10 with a frost warning..... what would you guys do?

Comments (7)

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

If it were me, I'd cover. -10 is pretty cold.

• lilies_and_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks.... I've been going through the linen closet looking for old sheets and blankets to use, DH seems to think gargage bags will work as well.... do they?

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

No NO No not unless the plastic is held away from the plant. If the plastic touches the plant it will freeze even more

• lilies_and_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've just come in from covering everything and I used bed sheets.... newish ones....that's all I had. I am the anti pak-rat so I don't keep anything around that I don't think I'll use again. Unfortunately the last time I cleaned out the linen closet I wasn't really into gardening! You know you love your garden when you're willing to cut up good bedding!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

It has turned very cold tonight and we are headed for yet another deep freeze. I especially feel sorry for the greenhouses that have large amounts of outdoor plants, trees and shrubs, these will NEED to be protected or there will be heavy losses.

If we get through tonight without too much damage, then I'm gonna have to do some major protecting of plants to save them from being badly damaged from the bitter temps to come ... it's very disouraging to be having another severe cold snap this late in the season!

Terry

• lilies_and_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is very discouraging! The winters are so long up here and we spend them just waiting to get out in the garden and see everything come to life... this year it's definitely taking longer. I only had to cover some shrubs, but I've seen some people with annuals in the ground and planters already.... they had some major protecting to do last night and tonight as well by the weather report. I guess we really should wait until the the last frost date to plant out. The growing season is so short though that everyone is anxious to get things established and growing so that they can actually be enjoyed for any length of time!

• glen3a
    14 years ago

Here it seems like there is a frost warning every third day. Sometimes I will leave some plants in my greenhouse (a shelf-like smaller greenhouse) and cover the entire thing with blankets but I thought I wouldn't take a chance.

I have a couple of palms/banana plants that I had indoors over winter and have been trying to get them used to outside light on the north side of the deck. The pots are too heavy to keep dragging in and out. They are against the house wall, so I draped a blanket and then tarp leaning against them. I am trying an experiment so I put some LED lights at the base of the plants (not touching the blankets though) so hopefully these might even generate some heat. Actually they say to use mini lights as they generate more heat but I feel LED lights are safer.

Anyways, it's suppose to go down to zero but with it being +3 at 8 p.m., I sort of panicked as I sort of think it will get colder than that.