Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Spring Order Arrived Today

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

I just got my Botanus order in the mail today. I was somewhat concerned that they had sent it on a Wednesday, so that it would end up sitting in the post office all weekend.

Everything still looks nice and moist and healthy, but not too moist. Very happy about that.

I ordered:

Nori Novelty Gladiolas

Astrantia carniolica Rubra

Campanula glomerata Superba

Sea of Green Hosta Mix

Liatris Mix

Free Items:

Phlox paniculata Bright Eyes

Hemerocallis Pardon Me

I know how some of you just love the Latin, so there you have it, LOL !

Now I just have to prepare the new spots for them, and figure out how not to kill the hosta ! I've had two of them before, and they both died. Third time should be a charm, I hope.

Anyone else get any spring mail orders recently?

P.S. All the fall bulbs I ordered from Botanus last year are doing well so far =:)

Comments (9)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

My order came today as well. Two pulsatillas, a peony, two red begonias and the free phlox. I've planted the pulsatillas and the peony into the ground, the two begonias are in containers, and the phlox has been potted up because i'm not sure where it will go.

Not sure how you're killing hostas. Same way i kill clematis? LOL

Let me know how your astrantia does. I just haven't ever had any luck with it.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess now would be a good time to look up what an Astrantia is, LOL !!

I think it's the pretty interesting looking flower that is Zone 4 and the Botanus brochure said it would be nice with hostas. Uh Oh. I hope they're not all doomed.

FYI I'm on my third clematis =:)

12 years ago

I moved Durandi and Nelly Moser this spring so that they could climb through the lilac bush. They're coming along nicely, but there's no sign of whatever one it was in another spot. I thought Anne Jackman (i think that's what it's called - i really need to make a list. Of course i could do that and maybe i'd even remember...) - anyway, that one is starting to come up, but Ville de Lyons hasn't emerged yet, and there's nothing on Blue Light. Oh, and my granddaughter's Little Duckling hasn't shown up either. Sigh...

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I have 3 different Atrantias. Astrantia major was the first one I bought, it reseeds quite well. I have seedlings from it every year. One of them got moved to my hosta bed is growing well. I think the white flowers are dainty looking and will look nice with the blue hostas. The other 2 are Moulin Rouge and another red one, can't remember the name. They're new so I don't know how much they will spread or reseed. Marg

12 years ago

I tried Major, Moulin Rouge, the white one and i think there was one called Ruby Wedding. None of them ever did anything. I tried them from seed as well - nuttin'. :(

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I think they would be too borderline hardy for me. I think they're beautiful, but the novelty of trying stuff that just sort of stutters and dies has kind of worn off. :(

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

O.K. I won't hold my breath for the Astrantia, but I'll hold out hope. They're going to be up against the house, protected on two sides by fencing, and the air conditioner on the other side. Then they'll maybe be surrounded by hostas, if the hostas live =:)

Weeper - Don't get discouraged. Keep trying things. If you could only see the ugly yard I have............and for some reason I keep plugging away, even though this morning as I picked dandelions, I wondered if it would be easier just to sell the house !

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I'm with you on the dandelions, NAF! I'm not sure I"m going to be able to get my entire flower bed weeded before some of these dandelions go to seed!! And my lawn/hay field looks "pretty" from it being a blanket of yellow weeds. *siiiiggghh*

I will keep pluggin' away. ;) I've just sort of decided that I like plants that thrive rather than struggle. Although oddly, sometimes zone 2/3 stuff fizzles for me and some zone 4 stuff, like bugbane, flourishes. I'm not complaining!

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Well I had hoped to be planting my main order of perennials by now but even though they were shipped out 12 days ago they are a no show. The company is one I know and trust, have been a loyal customer for years. I feel bad though for them. Apparently many of the customers in Alaska have had their shipments "hung up" somewhere along the line. It is so few companies anyway that will ship here and I would hate to see that happen with this company. It irks me no end that the USPS charges a fortune for priority service but does not deliver on their promise, seems it should be false advertising.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH