Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID this shrub?

Posted by runswithscissors MT 4/5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 22:19

It blooms first, before anything else except spring bulbs. Only stays in bloom for 3 weeks. The rest of the year it's a very blah shrub. Very pretty, yes, but to me it stinks. A very potent sickening sweet smell.

Any ideas what it is?

Dog Shrub? photo DSCF0474_zps4275418b.jpg

Dog Shrub2 photo DSCF0476_zpsc873de9f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID this shrub?

It's a Russian Almond.

o

Wow, you're right. I've never noticed any little nuts on it tho. Perhaps it needs a pollinator, and I've not seen another of these shrubs anywhere.

It came with the house.

Thanks Northspruce.

o

It`s not really a true almond - it`s in the prunus genus - does get little, fuzzy, almond nut shaped fruits hence the common name.

o

My Mother-in-law has a couple of these shrubs, they look amazing in spring. You may not like the look of a trimmed shrub, but I don't think hers looks "blah" at all, because she trims it into a fair-sized globe/dome shape each year. It isn't high maintenance, she probably trims twice a year at most. It is quite dense when not in flower(because of the way she prunes it).

o

psst...I have a secret about this shrub. Even tho I don't really like it, I've kept it because it pokes thru the dog-fence and the lab LOVES to hike his leg on it. He will run across the yard to hike on this particular shrub leaving most of my other little trees and shrubs alone. Do any of you have a mean-streak towards any of your plants for dubious reasons, too? (I wonder if all the pee is what causes it to bloom so stinky.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here