Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Global Warming...yeah right!

runswithscissors
10 years ago

May 1st and tonight it's going to be 24* F (-4*C i think) here in Montana. How is anything supposed to grow in that temp? I'm so mad! The rest of the US is already picking tomatoes...(well maybe not quite). Please people, make me feel lucky by telling me what your overnight temps are!! I know yours must be really cold compared to mine.

Just planted about 60 ferns two days ago, and last night killed them. Or if it didn't, tonight will. Too late to cover them they are brown. Do you think they will grow back?

Comments (14)

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

It was -6C this morning here. Had to wear the big winter jacket, I was freezing my damned nuts off.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Ug, sorry to hear of your plight. I am just north and sort of in the same boat.

To combat the blues I planted 200 summer bulbs amongst my tulips and daffodils today. It is challenging to not damage them, unknown if more are to come and if they appreciate a stranger....

• don555
    10 years ago

It's been one of the latest springs I ever recall up north, but on the plus side the fruit trees are unlikely to suffer any frost damage this year, when they eventually bloom.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

That's a good optimistic thought, Don. Maybe i'll have a few Nanking cherries this year - if i fight the baby robins for them!

It was -4 here an hour ago and up to -1 now. Supposed to go to +7/45 today. And, no more freezing temps at night after Sunday, so they say. Yippee!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

RWS, you're probably getting that Alaskan gulf system that blew thru here earlier this week with about 1/2" of snow both days.

Was +2C at 5:30am here and it's 14C now altho feels nice and warm in the sun. Supposed to be in the 20's for the next week here.

I can believe in global warming as the last number of winters here have been milder with less snow. I know it's not been like that in Alberta and Saskatchewan tho. Relatives tell me of the great piles of snow that have lasted into this month. Snow here has been gone for a month even where my driveway snow gets piled.

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the consolation. It wouldn't be so aggravating if Mother Nature didn't play tricks. One week, soooo nice and sunny and the birds are singing and twitterpatting and the honey bees are buzzing and you get the glorious feeling of pulling your gardening hat out for the first time, and the spring bulbs are just bobbing in the slight breeze and....and then bam! Freeze Warning!

Luckygal, yeah, you're right, I have noticed milder winters than in the past too, although we have still had lots of snow pack. Still...it's too damn cold for May 1st, I say!! (hear me roar!)

My plum trees are blooming...I hope they don't get nipped off.

Southie, I'm going to order fall bulbs this year and overwinter them until next spring so I can see where to plant them. Have you ever done that?

• northspruce
    10 years ago

This is absolutely the coldest spring that Manitoba has had in my lifetime. It's not only that we have had some pretty low lows, but our highs have been barely above freezing. We still have deep drifts of the winter's snow in the treelines, and the ground is still frozen in shady spots. We had snow on May 1 which is not exceptional, but the fact that the winter's snow was still on the ground sure is.

10 years ago

RWS, finally, someone else who knows the term "twitterpated"! I used it at school last spring - as in "the Grade 8s are getting all twitterpated" - and NONE of the teachers knew what it meant. Sometimes i wonder how they get to be teachers!

Gil, we might get flurries again tomorrow, but the weather people are adamant about temps in the teens during the week. They'd better be right!

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

I see we have some Bambi fans here LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Twitterpated

10 years ago

Yep. Bambi was my favourite as a kid. We didn't have movies, but I had a Bambi comic and I loved the story. :)

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahhhh thanks for the little stroll down twitterpate-lane CLB!

10 years ago

"Eating greens is a special treat.
    It makes for long ears and great big feet!
    (But it sure is awful stuff to eat!)"

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

My kids had the script memorized when they were little.

Marcia that sounds like a Thumper quote.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Well, I have been a Bambi fan since forever. Of course, right up there with the Lion King, it makes me cry every time I watch it! "Twitterpated" is a term I have used for many, many years. I can still hear Friend Owl whispering it to Thumper, Bambi, and Flower! If I remember correctly, Will Wright was the voice of owl and he was one of my mother's favorite old actors. Such a voice!

Out in the yard all day today and yesterday since we are now experiencing Edmonton warming.....26ð out there now! Wow! What a switch! The squirrels have been twitterpated all weekend, chasing each other all over the yard, up and down the trees, across the garage, and along the fence. Drives the dogs crazy!

Hello spring!!

Ginny

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz