Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Tiger Salamander

beegood_gw
11 years ago

Found the poor thing in the dirt in front of the house so scooped him up and put him under a toad house in the flower bed and a day later he's still there. He can hide under the leaves in there and stay moist and cool.

Comments (13)

• ostrich
    11 years ago

WOW! These things live in AB? Aren't we too cold for it???

• don555
    11 years ago

Very cool. I don't think I've ever come across one of these myself.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Great,...you got them too!
    More in this link,..

Here is a link that might be useful: Four legged friend

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

We have them too, although haven't seen any so far this year. We also have a blackish brown one and one that is more of an olive green. Kids love them. Cheryl

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found the Salamander in my little pond today and he looked like he was trying to get out. It is a small plastic one. I lifted him out witha sieve and he went under some leaves. Shud I have left him in the water.? Swims and dives well but don't know if he can get out himself.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Think you did the right thing,..I would have done the same.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Think I'll see if I can figure out a little ramp if he or the frogs can't get out.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Last autumn, I discovered yet another salamander making his way up to the house, for winter they like to bury themselves against the warm foundation. I had helped the little guy out by making him a burrow and then carefully covering him over. I checked on him in the spring and he was just fine and within days had likely gone back to the marsh, I hope he and his friends return in the autumn :)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

That sounds good!
    Perhaps a couple of ramps for easy in and out and put it in the shade under a tree or shrub,..I'll bet, some more might come for a afternoon dip on a warm day.

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

This was interesting to me
    I live in Ontario an hour out of Toronto
    Have never seen a salamander here in any garden I have had over the years
    But
    In Florida I have some very nice gardens and the past maybe four years I do have what I think is a salamander family living in the garden down there.

They are not colourfull like your tiger salamander. Just a grey colour.
    I seem to see them each year in the shady gardens not on the sunny side
    Never found much information about them.
    Interesting that we have them in Canada as well
    TO bad it is that people have an instinct to kill such things but most of all snakes
    I always feel badly to hear people talk about how terrific it was to kill a snake that they found on their property
    I know instinctively people are frightened of snakes but they do so much good.
    really enjoyed to see this article and what others had to say

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well here it is August and he is still around. I make sure the water is always right up to the top so he can get out real easy. I read their underbellies are very sensitive so did not want him to use a ramp.Seems to be doing OK.

{{gwi:751257}}

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Great job,..well done!

• Gennie
    11 years ago

If it is a female it might lay its eggs in your pond, although I think it is too late for that now. Maybe next year. My granddaughter has one for a pet and buys crickets to feed it. It is a very interesting pet.

Humans do not have an instinctive fear of snakes! This fear is entirely learned. I have a number of Prairie Garter snakes that over-winter underground next to my foundation. I love snakes, and captured the longest bull snake on record in SK at 6' 6". Bull snakes don't smell like garter snakes, although I have not noticed these Prairie ones giving off that odour that the Northwestern Garter snake does. I thing I will check a little closer next time I catch one.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County