Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

frost!!!???

beegood_gw
11 years ago

Heard that we might have frost tonite. Brought my few plants in and wrapped my plum tree in a sheet as it's in full bloom. Hate to lose everything as this is the first year for it to bloom. 4 or 5 varieties so I do hope it will be OK

Comments (23)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Clear skies and no wind does not hold well for tonight, I only hope it doesn't freeze too hard. I have a bunch of potted plants that I still must bring into the garage and a few other plants to tend by flashlight:(

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I have a friend in the Peace region said it was -6 there this morning. We still haven't had a frost since April 27. Really hoping we don't now considering my peppers are already setting fruit...

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

It was around 0 here this morning, I'm not too worried tonight,...according to weather man next week around Wednesday it will be 9C high, boy....what's going to be at nigth??

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Around 5 AM it was pretty cold. Grass was white and roofs as well. I live at the edge of a ravine so it's usually a bit cooler her.Will have to keep a watch on Wed.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

All ok in the city so far. Stupid weather. :( Do I sense a pattern forming here? This is the third or fourth year in a row for a cool spring. Blah!!!

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

0.5 C at 1:30 am with those clear skies and no wind, could have easily dipped much colder, though we were fortunate to have escaped hard frost as milder air moved in and it was surprisingly warm in the morning :) ... too bad I had hauled in a whack of potted roses and other things and went to the trouble to drop the large wisteria vine down to the ground and cover it over, all for not, though could have easily gone the other way ... better safe than sorry!

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Update..
    heard that Wednesday day time high will be 6 C, that could translate to MAJOR freeze early morning, like minus 5 or colder.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

I recorded -2.5 C in Saskatoon; however all my tomatoes survived (they were under row cover). There was one tomato without any cover and it looks totally fine, which baffles me to no end.
    I think stuff like plum flowers, roses etc should be fine if it's over -2.

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

I covered a few things on the deck to to be sure, but there wasn't any sign of frost in other parts of the garden. I know better than to plant early...learned from experience, I've spent my share of time frantically covering already planted things with all the available pots and sheets.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

At 7 PM it's 7C.
    We're lucky in a way that it still rains and cloud cover should stay over night which gives us a break, one more night into Friday will be another close call, after that we should be out of the woods,...I hope!

If the sun comes out tomorrow and warms up nicely we might be OK?

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

It's 3 degrees here in MB at 8:37PM and raining.
    This weather is driving me nuts.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Nice and much needed rain over a large region of Alberta, though seldom do we ever receive a warm rain and indeed it's yet again rather nippy out there. I've held off sowing the beans and cucumbers, as these are sure to rot in these temps.

• ostrich
    11 years ago

Well, in Calgary yesterday, we did not have subzero temperature, but then we had multiple hailstorms in my area!!! YIKES! It was not nice at all... sigh!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool here this morning. Only 5 but wet so I'm glad I haven't planted anything out yet. Want to do a raised garden this year and try to plant potatoes in a barrel' Well I know I can plant whether it will work is the question. Will see.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

It's supposed to go down to +1 here Saturday morning (though that may change). I guess i'll be loading up the cold frame again with all the things i moved into the shade last week because of the heat!

• intotheark
    11 years ago

hit a low of +2.9 here thanks to that big system leaving some clouds behind

a little heat and things will really pop now
    we ended up with 2.3" of rain in total

• savona
    11 years ago

Yesterday we had -2 to -3. I had a fire in the green house stove. I was counting on the weather forcast for being warmer last night and it was +5 this morning. I wont be any hurry to plant out anything for awhile yet...Jean

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

This weather reminds me of 2010. Same time of year, same type of weather. I just hope the summer doesn't turn out like 2010 (or worse, 2009!).

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well here it is May 27 and the grass was crisp at my house. So glad I haven't planted anything yet. After June 1 there is plenty of time since it will grow twice as fast and be a stronger plant. At least that is how I think it is.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Lots of people I know on facebook were complaining about scraping frost off their windshields and floppy plants, we didn't get anything at our place. We live on a big hill(in SK?! Impossible!;) ) so it seems the frost often settles in the valley instead of our yard. Still, I've had my bedding plants sitting inside the last few days, waiting to be potted, just in case.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

I'm grateful I am not in the Cypress valley. Forecasting 20-30 cm of snow!

It is sunny and clear this morning and my tomatoes are doing pretty good out on the deck. I think I will wait till the end of the week to put them in. They are still growing in the pots. :)

Seems to be the trend the last few years to have these long drawn out springs and cool summers. Only one day (in Edmonton) hit 30c last year and it was in May. I think there has been too much playing around with Mother Nature's hormones.....

Ginny

• Collin001
    11 years ago

The last few days has been hovering around or below zero during the nights.

I think the cold snap has killed my hazelnuts. They budded and then stopped. No shoot growth or anything. Everything else kept going while they stopped. I hope their pause is only momentary.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Here, it's +9, pouring rain and strong winds. The back of my van is full of leftover plants from yesterday's plant sale, and i don't think they want to go back outside! And i don't want to go out to do that! LOL

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?