Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

20C today but snow tomorrow!!!

ostrich
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

Now that spring is supposed to be here, I am back in the land of living!!!

Today, the temperature was up to 20C in Calgary! It was 18C yesterday here too, so it really has been lovely. BUT!!! By tomorrow, our temperature will plummet to close to 0C and we will even get about 5-10cm of snow! YIKES!

My Toba Hawthorn and Norkent apple trees are full of buds that are about to burst open - OUCH! I hope they will be OK with this sudden cold temperature... please, don't mess up my trees/blossoms, Mother Nature!!!

Comments (12)

• don555
    9 years ago

Unless the temps get far below zero, those buds should be fine. I'm impressed that your trees are that far along though, my apples in Edmonton are just starting to show some green on the sides of the branch buds. No flower buds close to showing here.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, don!

Those buds did seem to have survived! Phew.... now I just want them to open up and show me some "green"!

It is such torture waiting for spring in Calgary... LOL

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I feel your pain ostrich! While not in Calgary everything here is just poking through the soil or starting to have the odd leaf bud open. I must walk by each plant 20 times a day to see if it has grown at all.

Come on Spring blooms!!!

SCG

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SCG, this is hilarious - I thought that I was the only one who's been doing it - walking by my plants multiple times a day just to see what they are up to, whether they are poking their head out or growing at all!!! LOL!

My neighbours must think that I am nuts... but I am glad that I am not the only one!!! :-)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

My neighbours have called me the crazy plant lady for some time now. I am also known as the bird whisperer and soon to be dragon trainer. I talk to my garden......the plants and the fairies....... :)

Ginny

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, Ginny, that is too funny! LOL!

I had some friends over one day last year, and they told me that I was "petting my plants" in the yard.... I had no idea that I was doing it until they told me so! LOL! I guess they truly are our pets or babies... :-)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

I do that too - run my hands over them as i walk by. Nice plants! LOL Or i might say, "Oh, don't you look nice today!" Luckily we don't have any close neighbours. :>

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Ostrich, I am in Calgary this week visiting my daughter and grandson. I am sure I will be having to check out some of the garden spaces just cause tis the season. Perhaps we can meet up? send me a note. I have no memory of garden shops here anymore. Been in Edmonton for the past 10 years.

Ginny

PS I pet my plants too and I have the most amazing neighbours....... :)

• shazam_z3
    9 years ago

Man it is soooo slow this year... Everything is taking forever to come out.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

The ground officially thawed out today in Saskatoon. This is the latest thaw-out date in decades.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Had noticed quite a few trees popping their leaves and showing green, it's a bit on the late side, though within normal range. Has been an extremely erratic spring, but am finally out planting garden, potatoes went in today and will get all of the early stuff planted in the next few days including the sprouting sweetpeas. Would have liked to have had stuff sown earlier, though it was soooo cold that it wouldn't have made much difference anyways.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

We're in Winnipeg, and so excited to finally see some buds on the trees!