Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Old lilacs, and their suckers

My daughter bought a house and is really happy that there are several lilacs in front of it screening the house from the street. These are old, old bushes that have probably never been pruned and i plan to do that for her after they have bloomed. Any suggestions?

Also, there is a large gap (about four feet) between two of the bushes and we thought we could fill it in using a sucker. Just dig it up and plant it? Should we use more than one? When is the best time to do this?

Thanks! :)

Comments (5)

• nutsaboutflowers
    14 years ago

Hi Marcia

I'm not an expert, but here's my two cents worth. =:)

I'll begin with the row of lilacs on my uncle's farm when I was young. There were at least 20 of them and when there was a breeze you could smell them from " a mile away". They were never ever pruned. They bloomed profusely year after year. They're what made me love lilacs.

I have had lilacs at two of my homes. I've pruned them as I was advised, and have never had mine bloom as beautifully as my uncle's. Not even close. So, be very careful. I would maybe go so far as to seek a professional's help the first time you prune. ( A lot of people might think that's silly, but if you're not willing to experiment, it might be worth it. I wish I had hired someone.) But remember, I'm not an expert.

To fill in the gap, may I suggest a different variety of lilac for contrast?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We did think about getting a different lilac, one that is larger and would fill the gap more visibly than a sucker.

As far as the pruning goes, i was just thinking about thinning them out a bit.

There are many of these lilacs around our village and, yes, in the spring, they scent the whole place. :)

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Hi Marcia, We just thinned out the lilac hedges on both sides of the property last week. We took out a lot of suckers and just left mostly taller ones. You are supposed to thin out the older ones occassionally too. The best time to prune of course if after flowering...but we did it now before the garden grew up in front of them. We won't get near as many flowers this year....but at least it is a job that is done.

I also have several newer varieties but they are still quite a bit smaller...so they were not pruned as hard. They don't sucker as bad as the older varieties.

A sucker would work and so would a group of suckers, cut them back after planting....but I think I would go with a different one to fill in the spot too. Then it is more instant.

Sierra

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

There's a thread here from years ago about layering - this is a very cheap, very easy way to propagate established plants.

Also take a look at the propagation forums and the glossary here.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hah! My principal emailed me McFayden's half price sale, so now my daughter is getting Lilac Villosa to fill that gap! Sierra, you're right - instant gratification! :)

She just has lawn in her yard - she doesn't "do" gardening, she says - so all they're shading is that and the house. She needs ferns or something in front of her house too, i think.... :> I'll prune the lilacs after they bloom because she's really looking forward to having the scent waft through her open windows. :)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH