Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

What died over winter?

north53 Z2b MB
12 years ago

Just wondering if it's time for the funeral announcements for perennials in our gardens. I've been staring at the ground looking for any sign of life on a few things. I can't believe I seem to have lost another sedum Autumn Joy. Don't you think it would be up by now? Also a couple of clematis are no shows so far, and a very nice hosta.

It seems to have been a very good year for the perennials though. Everything else is doing great.

Comments (26)

• don555
    12 years ago

That's probably bad news on your clematis, as mine have a good foot or more of new growth now (Jackmannii and "golden bells").

I was surprised that my "hardy" Morden Centennial roses killed pretty much to the ground for the first time ever. They are regrowing from ground level quickly though. My hybrid tea roses kill to the ground every winter, and are re-sprouting nicely now.

Worst winter-kill on my Valiant grapes ever. They are budding out, with some vines seemingly alive to well above snow-line, but many others dead right to the ground. They grow like weeds though, so should fill out quickly.

Everything else seems to have loved the deep snow cover this winter.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I think nearly everything made it. There are a few things not up yet but the spring weather has been so weird that I'm hoping they still do come up. My Husker Red Penstemon isn't showing any signs of life. Can't remember if it is a late starter or not. My clematis are coming up and are a few inches high. My pear tree is doing the best job of flowering ever, hope we actually get some pears! We bought 2 of them 8 years ago with a 'You'll be eating pears by next year' promise. The other one still isn't doing as well.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I can't remember the name of the one clematis - Anne Jackman, maybe - but it's not showing any sign of sprouting. Neither is Ville de Lyons, but it was really late last year, like June or July, so we'll see. Some of the tulips and daffodils i planted along the sidewalk are finally showing up, though not all of them, and i planted a lot. None of the Dutch iris that were planted last year came up at all, but i didn't expect them to.

Some of the hostas have started, but they're usually fairly late anyway so i'm pretty sure that they'll be poking through soon, especially after last week's heat and the weekend's rain.

I'm still hoping for signs of life on Topaz Jewel - for some reason, she hasn't done as well as she does for other people. :(

• mytime
    12 years ago

Lots died in my yard...between last year's soggy summer and the winter's lack of snow cover during the coldest times, and wind, wind, wind...well, I think everything planted within the past 2 years rotted, froze, or dried out. Bah, humbug!

• booberry85
    12 years ago

This winter I lost 2 ferns, 1 azalea (I had that for years too) and my tiki torch echinacea. Oh, I have brave sole hen or chick. I'm still hoping for signs of life out of the azalea and the ferns.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I lost a heuchera, probably because that pesky pocket gopher chewed off all the foliage in early spring and exposed the crown to some cold nights.

Other than that, I lost a purple leafed clover that the deer chewed most of the way off, and then winter finished the rest. That is IT!! I can't believe it. The snow was kind to my garden.

My Ville De Lyons clematis is probably 8 inch up..I wonder why yours is so slow Marcia? My lilies do seem slow this year though. My roses are doing really well...they loved all that snow cover! Only about 6 inch dieback on my Emily Carr and Morden Blush.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I don't think I lost anything. We had a great winter. We got deep snow before hard frost and I don't even know if the ground froze much at all.

A couple of my roses had more dieback than expected (Wpg Parks and Sexy Rexy) but some tender ones came through with 5 or more excellent canes (Peace and Rio Samba). My TB irises that were left after last year's mass extinction are looking very robust this spring. Here's hoping for some blooms...

BTW I thought Icelandic Poppies were annuals but I have two that appeared mysteriously last year and I see they're back and COVERED in buds.

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Lost a fernleaf peony that I got for super cheap last year. Also lost a ligularia, a bugbane, an oriental poppy, Morden Snowbeauty, a peony(!) and all my dianthus. I got those dirt cheap at HD last year; I'm not even sure they were perennial ones. The voles went to town and nearly girdled my Thunderchild crabapple and some of my roses.

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

I lost a siberian iris that i have had for years. My hollyhocks and a Canterbury bells both of which were nesting spots for the mice.

• savona
    12 years ago

Last year I lost several things out of the garden. It was a crazy thaw/melt winter and a couple peonies heaved out of the ground and took forever to recover from it. My moon of Nippon peony has just one shoot coming up this year I think it is still recovering. I dont see anything coming up this spring where I planted a ligularia a friend bought me. That is very disappointing.I got a little Tinkerbelle pink lilac last year and it didnt make it either...Jean

12 years ago

Weeper, that clematis has always been slow to come up. Two years ago, it didn't come up at all and i thought it was gone. Last summer, i had a container with a moonflower by the trellis and at some point in the summer when i went to water it, there was the clematis coming up. Someone told me they had heard of clematis deciding to take a year off, so maybe that's what it was doing.

Jean, where did you find a Tinkerbelle lilac??? That belongs in a P'incess' fairy garden, doesn't it? :) Her Mount Duckling clematis has sprouted, but the Little Princess spirea doesn't look that great. Guess i'll have to trim out the dead stuff.

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

I planted three alpina clematis against my back fence last year, one took off and is already almost flowering this year, two of them broke last year because I didn't secure the netting tight enough against the fence. I thought they were goners but they're both back up!

Also planted a Nelly Moser (or somesuch group 2) last year in a fairly exposed location and it came back. When I went on the Cal Hort garden tour, I noticed that quite a few people did this and the clematis did very well anyhow.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Last summer I grew a ligularia in a pot while I got its bed ready - I only threw it in the ground in late October and didn't expect anything but it's growing like crazy this spring.

12 years ago

One of my ligularias (eastern exposure, less shade) is up with a nice crown of leaves. The other two (northern exposure, more shade) are just starting. Granted, that bed had snow on it up until a couple of weeks ago!

Shazam, i move my Nelly Moser and Durandi this spring and both are doing great! I want them to climb through my lilac bush. :)

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I lost a balloon flower, chocolate mint, and chick in pots that I thought were well mulched. I haven't found my heuchera and I think my miniature roses (out of zone)and one other are toast. Other than that I'm not sure because I started some plants from seed and didn't keep track of which were perennials or label them. Some came back.

• mytime
    12 years ago

Marcia, Little Princess spirea is sometimes veeeerrrrrry slow to come back, but for me, it always does. One year it took until late June...I had almost given up, but was really too busy to do anything about it, when it started leafing out. I would say it's too early to tell what is dead on it and what isn't.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

North53, my Autumn Joys have been up for ages altho I'm in zone 3 - they are pretty tough tho so yours may just be slow. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on some plants that haven't yet appeared.

Several new hardy groundcovers and an azalea in my shade garden are MIA and the heuchera still look pathetic. Bought more new plants for that area than for the entire garden so something has to change. Thinking at this point in time of paving over that area! Just kidding.

I'm pretty sure Marshall's Delight beebalm is a goner altho not sure why as it's hardy and was in a protected spot and grew fantastically last year.

My bleeding heart hasn't appeared but may still as it's been reliable.

Three out of the 4 new bearded irises I planted last fall succumbed but I have doubts about their quality and won't buy more at the same nursery. They were inexpensive but obviously not good value.

My old spirea (Goldflame I think) didn't like being moved last spring and while alive looked pathetic and full of weeds this spring so I potted it up and will baby it until it looks better or I compost it.

Surprisingly a few of the Dusty Miller that I plant as annuals have survived well - most of the time these tender perennials look so ratty, if they survive at all, that I usually compost them. I always leave them to overwinter tho just in case.

My Ville de Lyon clematis just appeared in the last week and my Limelight Hydrangea is finally looking alive. I was concerned about those as they were new last year. All 5 of my new roses from last year made it and are putting out new growth really well. So glad all 22 of my lavenders made it and are being/will be moved to new homes when I can figure out the best places for them.

More losses this year than usual (often have none) altho the spring has been so cool and wet that plants are late getting growing so I'm not giving up on some yet.

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm really confused as to why the Autumn Joy seems to have died. It wasn't its first winter.
    But I'm not giving up on the Ville de Lyon yet. According to my records it has been late before. It is planted in an area where we dump the snow off the deck, so was well buried.
    I have a couple of what I thought were annual grasses that survived and look great. So who knows what or why plants survive.

12 years ago

My time, the Little Princess is leafing out in spots. I was out wrapping an apple tree near it, so started to clip off a few branches that looked like they were dead but they were green on the inside, so i guess it's not as bad as i thought.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Update: none of my heucheras are happy this spring. None are totally gone but all are runty looking. hmmmm!

• savona
    12 years ago

Marcia I got the Tinkerbelle lilac at our local Extra Foods store. Syreeta (Seaottecove) bought 2 of them and hers made it through the winter and she is in the same zone as I am. I planted mine up against the south side of the house and it didnt get any snow cover which I believe was why it didnt make the winter.

12 years ago

I'll have to get to Extra Foods next week (no more time this week, alas). I heard that they left out a lot of their plants and they froze.

One plant centre here has Purple Sensation, which is one i've coveted for a long time. I wonder if i can justify two new lilacs this year... :>

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Marcia

Do you mean the Syringa vulgaris ?

I have one =:) I just need to plant it.........

12 years ago

Yessir, Syringa vulgarus 'Purple Sensation'!

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, Ville de Lyon clematis has finally decided to show up! What a diva she is. Also my poor sedum Autumn Joy has some growth, and the missing hosta has appeared. I had to move it last year and must have got it planted too deeply, as all the rest of my hosta are way ahead.
    So my final tally of losses seems to be one new clematis, and a lovely golden bleeding heart. I'm sad about the bleeding heart. I really liked it.

12 years ago

My Ville de Lyon finally turned up here as well, but the other clematis hasn't. I'll have to plant morning glories to go up that trellis instead, or maybe pole beans for my husband. :)

Topaz Jewel looks like she's a goner. I got her for my daughter, whose birthday is in November, and coincidentally, she moved away this spring too. Hmmmm... LOL I did buy another Morden Sunrise, so maybe i'll put that in its place.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor