Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The extent of my gardening lately....

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 23:01

...has been shovelling through huge piles of snow so that it will melt faster off my flower beds. No pictures. Too depressing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The extent of my gardening lately....

Mine is just watching the forecast hoping for any highs over 10. I need to uncover my beds and clean them up but even if we don't get any more extreme cold, there's no point when it's so chilly.

o

I only have a few beds exposed, even. The rest are under huge piles of snow - well, not so huge now - where dh's tractor pushed it up. He took some off one bed with the tractor, but couldn't do more because of the obelisk in the way, as well as a small apple tree. I finally was able to free that yesterday.

It might be 10 today. We shall see.

o

It disappears quickly once it starts. Don't despair Marcia. I was actually able to do some raking yesterday and noticed things are sprouting in the flower beds that until last week were under snow. It never ceases to amaze me! I even had a frog show up on the sidewalk. Couldn't believe my eyes.

o

As with most places in Canada, Edmonton’s weather has been crazy up and down this spring. My spring bulbs and some of the perennials are pushing nicely, though the leaves are slowish to appear on the trees. There was a rather hard frost this morning that left some of the early risers looking a bit damaged and the lilies next to the house will need to be covered if I don’t want them to be zapped tonight and turn to mush.

I hope that warm settled conditions soon arrive for all!

Daffodils as of this morning ...

This post was edited by twrosz on Mon, May 5, 14 at 19:08

o

‘Globemaster’ alliums are coming along very nicely this spring. There had been no frost in the ground, so they were off and running as soon as the snow had melted.

Only 5 C forecast for tomorrow, that's more than ten degrees below normal :(

o

Lovely, Terry. Thanks for the encouragement!

There are a few things coming up, a few crocuses blooming, and some chiondoxa. My peony 'Mollis' has little pink nubs over an inch high. It's such an over-achiever. :)

o

Not to worry Marcia and Gillian. I, too, was very discouraged until late last week. Now things are coming up like crazy. There's things coming up in places I didn't remember I had anything, LOL !

My stuff isn't as big as Terry's but that's because Alberta is further over on the map. It's spreading from West to East :) Your turn is next.

Lynn

o

I won't comment much at all as I don't want to be hunted down. But after mowing the lawn and seeing this post I figured I would wish you all the best weather. *duck*

o

Lots of green coming up all over the yard! I have been very ill the past week and have done absolutely no clearing, cleaning, pruning, or mowing tho...........just snooping around the yard. Off to stay with my daughter and adorable little grandson for the week but look forward to planting out all my overwintered geraniums who are flowering their little rainbow heads off when I get back home. :) Cucs are just up, tomatoes are strong and stocky, and I am itching to get out in the dirt! Daylillies, peonies, irises, daffs, tulips, scilla, and bluebells are all poking up under the leaves. Poppies and Echinacea are already 6 inches high! So nice to finally see green! I even saw a couple of tiny leaves on the little maple trees out back today. :) We will soon be complaining about the heat..... ;) Happy gardening everyone!

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here