Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

The extent of my gardening lately....

...has been shovelling through huge piles of snow so that it will melt faster off my flower beds. No pictures. Too depressing.

Comments (9)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Mine is just watching the forecast hoping for any highs over 10. I need to uncover my beds and clean them up but even if we don't get any more extreme cold, there's no point when it's so chilly.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only have a few beds exposed, even. The rest are under huge piles of snow - well, not so huge now - where dh's tractor pushed it up. He took some off one bed with the tractor, but couldn't do more because of the obelisk in the way, as well as a small apple tree. I finally was able to free that yesterday.

It might be 10 today. We shall see.

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

It disappears quickly once it starts. Don't despair Marcia. I was actually able to do some raking yesterday and noticed things are sprouting in the flower beds that until last week were under snow. It never ceases to amaze me! I even had a frog show up on the sidewalk. Couldn't believe my eyes.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

As with most places in Canada, EdmontonâÂÂs weather has been crazy up and down this spring. My spring bulbs and some of the perennials are pushing nicely, though the leaves are slowish to appear on the trees. There was a rather hard frost this morning that left some of the early risers looking a bit damaged and the lilies next to the house will need to be covered if I donâÂÂt want them to be zapped tonight and turn to mush.

I hope that warm settled conditions soon arrive for all!

Daffodils as of this morning ...

This post was edited by twrosz on Mon, May 5, 14 at 19:08

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

âÂÂGlobemasterâ alliums are coming along very nicely this spring. There had been no frost in the ground, so they were off and running as soon as the snow had melted.

Only 5 C forecast for tomorrow, that's more than ten degrees below normal :(

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely, Terry. Thanks for the encouragement!

There are a few things coming up, a few crocuses blooming, and some chiondoxa. My peony 'Mollis' has little pink nubs over an inch high. It's such an over-achiever. :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

Not to worry Marcia and Gillian. I, too, was very discouraged until late last week. Now things are coming up like crazy. There's things coming up in places I didn't remember I had anything, LOL !

My stuff isn't as big as Terry's but that's because Alberta is further over on the map. It's spreading from West to East :) Your turn is next.

Lynn

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I won't comment much at all as I don't want to be hunted down. But after mowing the lawn and seeing this post I figured I would wish you all the best weather. *duck*

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Lots of green coming up all over the yard! I have been very ill the past week and have done absolutely no clearing, cleaning, pruning, or mowing tho...........just snooping around the yard. Off to stay with my daughter and adorable little grandson for the week but look forward to planting out all my overwintered geraniums who are flowering their little rainbow heads off when I get back home. :) Cucs are just up, tomatoes are strong and stocky, and I am itching to get out in the dirt! Daylillies, peonies, irises, daffs, tulips, scilla, and bluebells are all poking up under the leaves. Poppies and Echinacea are already 6 inches high! So nice to finally see green! I even saw a couple of tiny leaves on the little maple trees out back today. :) We will soon be complaining about the heat..... ;) Happy gardening everyone!

Ginny