Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Secrets for growing hydrangeas in Zone 3

I have tried a couple of times to grow hydrangeas and have not had any success with them. I always blamed it on the clay soil around here or my boy dogs. I am trying again this year and have just received my babies. Any advice, tips, or secrets to growing healthy hydrangeas ( besides not allowing the dogs to pee on them) would be much appreciated.

Pinky Winky
Incrediball
Invincibelle
Vanilla Strawberry

TIA

Ginny

Comments (4)

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Ginny, I have grown Pinky Winky, Incrediball, Vanilla Strawberry and Quick Fire over the last 2 years. Despite the severe winter that we had over the past year, they continue to thrive.

I think it has everything to do with the location. I planted these next to the wooden fence, so they are in a sheltered location. The ones with the east facing location are doing particularly well.

Do you have pictures of your babies? :-) Good luck!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ostrich, I remember you had mentioned Vanilla Strawberry last year? I had purchased another one last year.....I thought it was Vanilla Strawberry, but gave her to my girlfriend. I don't think she made it. :(

They are just little and not blooming so not much to see in pictures.........yet. Hoping that will change. :) I have lots of protected space in this yard and was thinking of planting them on the east side of the deck. They will get sun till about noonish there.

Ginny

PS I think the one I gave away was Endless Summer. I'll see if I can get another one. Everything looks better planted in odd numbers. :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I, too, had issues with dogs using my hydrangea as a personal urinal. Now I put rocks around them in such a way it makes it uncomfortable for them to stand close enough to do their business. They do still lift and go but I think it keeps it far enough away from the root ball, however. Not sure if you remember my post about "the comeback kid" last year about one hydrangea.

Now I can't offer much advice but I tend to agree that location is important. I have an Anabelle, Bella Anna, a paniculata who's name escapes me and 2 Endless summers. Both ES were in an unsheltered spot and are barely coming back from the root ball (since moved one). My Bella Anna and paniculata are both somewhat sheltered are starting to leaf out. Unfortunately the Anabelle was defoliated by a 4 legged slug mid Sept and it isn't showing any life yet (neither are the 3 dogwoods and maple tree that were hit)

The other thing I did wrong last year was I fertilized them with a product like osomocote that provides nutrition all summer. After doing that I only got 2 blooms on one plant. I heard not to fertilize them much if at all but thought I knew better :)

Since I am an odd person I will also agree that things are better planted odd.

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let me just say that it is a good thing there are not as many super cold hardy hydrangeas. :) I am known to be a bit 'odd' and a bit of a collector myself. :) I prefer to think I am gifted. This is a good thing, I think, in this cookie cutter world. :)

Ginny

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH