Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Mass Sunflowers!

Well, I finally got it done. 540 seeds in 67 varieties are now sowed. A special thanks goes out to Ginny for her HUGE contribution to this garden. Although I did fail her in a promise to plant all her seeds but others heard about this garden and gave some seed donations, so I was a bit overwhelmed....more for next year!

I can't wait till august!

Thanks to all for all your contributions and support.

SCG

Comments (12)

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

don't forget to post pics when they bloom.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Tomorrow, will finally get around to mine, had needed to do a bunch of soil prep in that area, otherwise would have sown them already ... all three varieties, lol ...

Terrance

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Yay!! You are very welcome! I can't wait to see what comes up! I hope you get a good variety of fall color. :)

I sowed about 18 varieties today and am soaking the nasturtium for planting on the weekend!

Happy gardening everyone!

Ginny

10 years ago

Oh, you're a wild one, Terry! :)

Ginny

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CLB, you can be certain I will. Man I hate waiting!

Ginny, I am trying to figure out where I can put another bed to use up all the seeds but locations for them to face morning sun are quite limited now :(

Terry, if you would like I can send you some more varieties. Some are courtesy of ginny and others. Just send me your address and I will get them out on tuesday.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Kind of you to offer the seeds SCG :) ... though, these days I'm needing to force myself to be in cutback mode. I do live local to Ginny and she most generously let me have a go at the rest of her massive seed collection :)

Only sunflower variety I'd love to find is 'Florenza' ... I had ordered these and other must have seeds through a friend, though when I enquired regarding the arrival of them, he just said "oh, I didn't place the order, I hope you don't mind?" ... gggrrr, lol. 'Florenza' is one of my favorites!

SCG ... yep, you gotta post photos when your sunflowers come into bloom!

Terrance

10 years ago

Terry, I just planted up the last few seeds I had left of Florenza. I might get 6 plants........but I have lots more seed coming. I also ordered Ring Of fire, Ruby, and Teddy Bear. I will share, of course! :)

Ginny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Ginny, I noticed you said you soaked your nasturtium seeds before planting....well I didn't know this and all mine are sown as of this morning...Should I dig them up? We are expected to have rain for the next few days will that suffice?

10 years ago

Rain will work just as well. :) I always soak peas, corn, beans, sweet peas, morning glories and nasturtium. And maybe a few others that I can't think of at the moment. Just gives them a better start, IMO.

You wanna see my nasturtium collection! :)

Ginny

Original Author
    10 years ago

HAHA Ginny I can only imagine. I just got the whirlybird mixed seeds. Next year we should do a trade. I'll order what you need and you can send me a smattering. The wife prefers gardens that are very mixed.

Next year I must add them crackerjack marigolds to my list...they will go awesome with the sunflowers if I decide to do them again.

10 years ago

I as well, prefer mixed gardens, Lance..... very English Country style...cottage...Shabby Chic....and lots that just like to reseed. :)

I have a rather interesting marigold collection too but much of the seed is probably not viable any more. A package of marigold seed is usually the biggest one so they last forever! This year I only did a few Cracker Jack for the vegies and a few Bonanza for the deck planters.

One year in Saskatoon I grew a whole garden of just marigolds of different types and sizes. Everyone knew my house as the Flower Lady's house on Avenue H! I also had 12 foot high sweet peas all along the back fence! That was a really good garden year. :) Must have been good soil cause I sure didn't know anything about gardening really. Lol!

I wonder what annuals others are growing this year?

Ginny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: Out of all the seeds I sowed between what germinated and what the dogs didn't knock down I have 144 plants up. 5 are now starting to have blooms open. My 'Tall' varieties seem a tad disappointing as most are shorter than the medium height varieties. How are your sunflowers doing?

FWIW, I had a couple sunflowers snap off in an accident when they were about 3 feet tall. They started to regrow off the side below the break, good thing I was lazy. So don't give up on them if it happens to you.

SCG

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA