Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Utility-right-of-way question in Calgary

Posted by ostrich 3a AB (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 23:52

Since there are a few Albertans here, I hope you don't mind me posting this landscaping related question here!

As I am trying to re-do my front yard, I have a landscaper drawn up a plan for me. It looks great! However, when I checked more carefully, I noticed that his design has included trees, big boulders, dry river bed and flower beds in the utility-right-of-way... ugh!

Now, what do I do? Do I need to insist that the trees will have to go? How about the big boulders? They are not a permanent structure, so can they stay there?

I would very much appreciate your advice as I can't find much information on this topic online! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Utility-right-of-way question in Calgary

Perhaps you should ask the Utility companies directly?
Also the City of Calgary has bylaws as to what you can and can not do with your yard.
Caroline

o

I am not in Calgary but hubby works for a utility company and if they need to get in on a right of way and there is stuff in the way they move it. Trees fences and what have you they do not replace what they move.

I suppose it depends on what you are willing to risk.

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Wed, May 22, 13 at 8:16

o

You can't put in any permanent structures (e.g. deck, patio, garage) unless you get a relaxation. You're not doing any of those things so at worst if the utility needs to get in there they'll rip out your stuff. They do not put it back in. They will put down sod at most.

o

Thank you for your great info, Caroline, CLBlakey and shazam. I spoke with my landscaper and we will have to modify the plan. I think that I will do some "non-permanent" landscaping there but will avoid putting trees there at all. Hopefully that will work... thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here