Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Mosquitoes eating you alive!

Konrad___far_north
12 years ago

Even with all the wind lately, swarms come up from the grass

and cling to you like magnets and a ton follows you, of coarse

all the snow we had is fuel to the bugs!

I had to aid myself to some off....I only do it as a last resort....

is there a friendly spray?

Comments (10)

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Konrad, I'm not sure if there's a friendly spray. I haven't found one yet.

Your situation with all your trees and massive garden may be quite different than what I have, but I generally only use Off that's for children. It has, if I recall, only 5% Deet and it works for me for about 2 hours. However, if there's swarms of mosquitoes, I don't stay out for long.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Last year, it had been mentioned on the local news of a species of mosquitoes new to the area that attack during the day ... and unlike most mosquitoes, these buggers are active even during conditions of high winds ... they just don't let up and have lead me to say a few colorful words! I don't like using bug repellent, though I've needed to slap it on, the clouds of mosquitoes have been relentless!

Terrance

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I don't know - we've had mosquitoes attack day and night. Some years you have to race from the house to the car and then drive up the road with your windows down to try and blow them out of it. :-/

• ljpother
    12 years ago

As of Sunday, I had one bite. I held off making snarky comments and Monday we were moving. Mosquitoes in the house, the car, keeping us company while we loaded the trailer. I guess Edmonton is a day or two behind Leduc.

Edmonton has a spray program that keeps the mosquito population to livable levels.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Has anyone ever tried the new OFF! Powerpad? My SIL had it at an outdoor party she said it seemed to work. The box says mosquito protection for up to 4.5 metres. I would like to try it in my sitting area. Right now we get eaten alive - I do anyway, they don't like DH. Marg

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Konrad - Consumer Reports from 2010 rated Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus at 97. Four other products with Deet at 15%, 23%, 25%, and 30% were rated 98. I haven't checked yet whether or not eucalyptus is harmful, or whether the product is available in Canada.

Marg - Please buy the Powerpad and let us know ASAP if it works for you. Maybe it'll have the opposite effect on your lucky DH, LOL !

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for letting me know of other products and testimonies.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Didn't know until I was uploading pictures on my honey bees working the pin cherries... a swarm following me!!

• squirelette
    12 years ago

Excellent catch. Thats a beauty of a shot

• luckygal
    12 years ago

We've had sooo many mosquitoes this year because of almost constant rain. To discourage them from devouring me I use essential oils - lavender, eucalyptus, rose geranium, peppermint, bergamot, and rosemary are quite safe and there are many more. I make my own blends. Most of the commercial EO blends have citronella, thyme, and/or pennyroyal which are very effective but I don't use those for various reasons. Check for precautions altho almost all are safer than Deet.