Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosquitoes eating you alive!

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 23:52

Even with all the wind lately, swarms come up from the grass
and cling to you like magnets and a ton follows you, of coarse
all the snow we had is fuel to the bugs!
I had to aid myself to some off....I only do it as a last resort....
is there a friendly spray?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosquitoes eating you alive!

Konrad, I'm not sure if there's a friendly spray. I haven't found one yet.

Your situation with all your trees and massive garden may be quite different than what I have, but I generally only use Off that's for children. It has, if I recall, only 5% Deet and it works for me for about 2 hours. However, if there's swarms of mosquitoes, I don't stay out for long.

o

Last year, it had been mentioned on the local news of a species of mosquitoes new to the area that attack during the day ... and unlike most mosquitoes, these buggers are active even during conditions of high winds ... they just don't let up and have lead me to say a few colorful words! I don't like using bug repellent, though I've needed to slap it on, the clouds of mosquitoes have been relentless!

Terrance

o

I don't know - we've had mosquitoes attack day and night. Some years you have to race from the house to the car and then drive up the road with your windows down to try and blow them out of it. :-/

o

As of Sunday, I had one bite. I held off making snarky comments and Monday we were moving. Mosquitoes in the house, the car, keeping us company while we loaded the trailer. I guess Edmonton is a day or two behind Leduc.

Edmonton has a spray program that keeps the mosquito population to livable levels.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 11 at 16:27

Has anyone ever tried the new OFF! Powerpad? My SIL had it at an outdoor party she said it seemed to work. The box says mosquito protection for up to 4.5 metres. I would like to try it in my sitting area. Right now we get eaten alive - I do anyway, they don't like DH. Marg

o

Konrad - Consumer Reports from 2010 rated Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus at 97. Four other products with Deet at 15%, 23%, 25%, and 30% were rated 98. I haven't checked yet whether or not eucalyptus is harmful, or whether the product is available in Canada.

Marg - Please buy the Powerpad and let us know ASAP if it works for you. Maybe it'll have the opposite effect on your lucky DH, LOL !

o

Thank you all for letting me know of other products and testimonies.

o

Didn't know until I was uploading pictures on my honey bees working the pin cherries... a swarm following me!!

May 22, 2011

o

Excellent catch. Thats a beauty of a shot

o

We've had sooo many mosquitoes this year because of almost constant rain. To discourage them from devouring me I use essential oils - lavender, eucalyptus, rose geranium, peppermint, bergamot, and rosemary are quite safe and there are many more. I make my own blends. Most of the commercial EO blends have citronella, thyme, and/or pennyroyal which are very effective but I don't use those for various reasons. Check for precautions altho almost all are safer than Deet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here