Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

When to give up on tree/shrub

jalal
14 years ago

On another post I mentioned that my wayfaring tree has no leaves. When I peel the bark with fingernail both the trunk and branches are green right to the end. I put fertilizer spikes around the tree and have been watering but nothing is happening. I moved it late spring last year which it didn't like--lost alot of the leaves. Is it likely a goner?

Comments (3)

• squirelette
    14 years ago

If the branches are green when you scratch the trunk I would leave it. I still have new growth coming in on my maple and my magnolia is just starting to get leaves. Everyone told me the magnolia was dead but it is coming. The crappy winter and cold dry spring is screwing with all the plants.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I still have roses sitting there, green canes, and not a single leaf or shoot. This weather is just screwy.

• nutsaboutflowers
    14 years ago

Depending on what type of soil you have, the spikes may not be doing your tree any good. I've been told that in clay soil the spikes are almost useless as they won't dissolve enough to get to your roots.

I'd give it some liquid fertilizer and wait to see what happens. It may surprise you.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals