Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lets hear your good deed Gardening Stories

Posted by sprayman 2b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 0:26

I would like to hear other members good deed Gardening Stories. My good deeds this year was like last year to give my left over plants to the Salvation Army William Booth Special Care Home.I gave them 70 plants, 15 Wave Petunia,Gazanias, Amaranthus-Love LiesBleeding,Phlox, Lobelia-Trailing blue,Swan River Daisy, Zinnia's, Spikes and even some Lisianthus.

When i took the plants over I was asked if I could donate some time to help weed the new perennial beds and large raised curved annual planters. They were full of mustard & wild oats( so much for weed free topsoil)

Ended up taking my 66 yr. old mom ( who wanted to donate magazines & a tray of Lamium ) back a hour later & spending 2 hr. digging weeds.

In the evening gave the new neighbors a washing machine drum & me & there 8 yr. old girl (& 4 friends) put 2 spikes,2 large reg. Petunia in the center, 2 large Wave Petiunia, 4 smaller Waves ,6 Lobelia & 4 Swan River Daisy around the out side. I had to give each one a turn in putting a plant in. Than we put 15 Lambs ears, 6 Waves, & 16 Gazania , in the front flower beds

I was beat ,but i felt good. Plus I get to see the flowers in the new neighbors drab, pea rock filled back yard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lets hear your good deed Gardening Stories

This is a good deed by an arborist:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitty Rescued

o
RE: Lets hear your good deed Gardening Stories

Does sharing plants count as a good deed?

Three years ago I bought seeds for an ornamental Siberian apple (malus baccata) variety called 'white streak'. It's on Gardens North website. The instructions warned that the variegation in the leaves might not show up until the second year or not at all in some of the seedlings. Well just my luck, not one of the seedlings had any variegation, and we are talking 3 years later.

I debated on throwing them out, but I feel bad just throwing any plant away so I brought them to work, put a "free to a good home" sign on them and even a short paragraph on how to care for them. I hoped someone would take them. They may not be variegated but they will still make nice ornamental apple trees.

Would you believe the 5 tiny trees were snapped up within 10 minutes. That and an extra catalpa I had sitting around.

It wasn't a 'big' deed, but it felt good sharing the plants and I joked that my trees were being adopted to good homes. Plus, it really made me feel good when one lady at work said she planted them the first thing when she got home that night, it told me she appreciated getting the trees.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here